Fortaz reactions & timing???

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
So My ten yr ten lb Rescued Sulcata that I have only had since OCT has been on a downward spiral... He stopped using his legs all the time (still some times, but not all) his appatite has declined, & last week He started drooling a lot So I rushed him to the vet again who did test to determine he has a Bacterial infection Found nothing in stool or blood last visit but tested drool & presto (he did not specifically say resp & now I am waiting on a call back to verify...) Harley is now on injections of Fortaz every 72 hrs for the next three weeks. He Just had his third shot yesterday.

Questions: how long till you general start to see any improvements in your experience?

He stopped eating the last two days- When is it time to call the vet again (I have had him there three times in the last month)?????

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I've used fortaz with good results for bubbly noses, sometimes as fast as 3-4 injections (at 48-72 hour intervals), but off the top of my head, I'm not sure it's the drug of choice for bacterial infection. Your symptoms sound more serious, like there is multiple problems. Are you keeping it frozen and thawing the fortaz as needed? It has an extremely short expiration at room temp (something like 36 hours).

I think baytril is more powerful, but it also more painful to inject.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
TylerStewart said:
I've used fortaz with good results for bubbly noses, sometimes as fast as 3-4 injections (at 48-72 hour intervals), but off the top of my head, I'm not sure it's the drug of choice for bacterial infection. Your symptoms sound more serious, like there is multiple problems. Are you keeping it frozen and thawing the fortaz as needed? It has an extremely short expiration at room temp (something like 36 hours).

I think baytril is more powerful, but it also more painful to inject.

It is frozen right up until I need to use. I thaw under warm water.