Forced basking for late risers? Advice required

Dave CH

Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
Hi all,
Opened the fridge door 9 days ago, and our two young Hermann's are now in their separate terrariums, having spent almost a week warming up slowly (from 44 F to 66 F).

The little guy is comes out to bask, and yesterday had his first post-hibernation meal. I've only bathed him once, when he was pretty active while warming up in the house.

The bigger guy (these torts are the same age) retreated to the coldest, dampest corner.
When I moved him forward slightly (so, to have more light), he buried himself. No basking. No movement around the tank.

Should I insist, and "make him" bask?
I haven't run out of finger nails yet, but you know, it's a worrying time.

Further information below.

Would love to have your thoughts on this, thank you -
Dave

The big guy's terrarium is around 2 square meters, which gives a temperature gradient.
The warm, dry, basking end (left end) is at recommended (on these forums) temperature.
The cooler, damper end (right end) is at around 64 F.
He can choose between a night-time temperature of between 64 F and 72 F, depending where he chooses to crash.
Heat comes from two ceiling mounted ceramics (left and center), and there's some additional heat from the UVB (center) when on.
Humidity is at ca 70 percent.
UVB is at 6 hours per day; basking is at 4 hours per day.
He lost 6.72 percent of his body weight during his 15 week hibernation, and currently weighs 514 grams (18.13 oz).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,
Opened the fridge door 9 days ago, and our two young Hermann's are now in their separate terrariums, having spent almost a week warming up slowly (from 44 F to 66 F).

The little guy is comes out to bask, and yesterday had his first post-hibernation meal. I've only bathed him once, when he was pretty active while warming up in the house.

The bigger guy (these torts are the same age) retreated to the coldest, dampest corner.
When I moved him forward slightly (so, to have more light), he buried himself. No basking. No movement around the tank.

Should I insist, and "make him" bask?
I haven't run out of finger nails yet, but you know, it's a worrying time.

Further information below.

Would love to have your thoughts on this, thank you -
Dave

The big guy's terrarium is around 2 square meters, which gives a temperature gradient.
The warm, dry, basking end (left end) is at recommended (on these forums) temperature.
The cooler, damper end (right end) is at around 64 F.
He can choose between a night-time temperature of between 64 F and 72 F, depending where he chooses to crash.
Heat comes from two ceiling mounted ceramics (left and center), and there's some additional heat from the UVB (center) when on.
Humidity is at ca 70 percent.
UVB is at 6 hours per day; basking is at 4 hours per day.
He lost 6.72 percent of his body weight during his 15 week hibernation, and currently weighs 514 grams (18.13 oz).
I would warm ambient up to over 70 degrees at night, and try for 75-80 during the day. The basking bulb and ambient lighting should be on for 12 hours a day at this point. 6 hours a day, mid day, is perfect for the UVB tube.

Dave CH

Switzerland
I would warm ambient up to over 70 degrees at night, and try for 75-80 during the day. The basking bulb and ambient lighting should be on for 12 hours a day at this point. 6 hours a day, mid day, is perfect for the UVB tube.
Thanks Tom,
I have that night-time temperature, so, 72 F, but as he's at the cooler end of the tank, he's in a colder spot.
Do you think I should take the cooler end up to 72 F (this would mean, perhaps, something around 80 F in the warmer area)?

Twelve hours basking: I'll try that, starting now.

Forced basking: Never, or not yet?

Dave

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Forced basking just sounds wrong! You would have to really know the exact temperatures, and whether your tortoise is well hydrated, I would imagine. Just thinking. Not an expert!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom,
I have that night-time temperature, so, 72 F, but as he's at the cooler end of the tank, he's in a colder spot.
Do you think I should take the cooler end up to 72 F (this would mean, perhaps, something around 80 F in the warmer area)?

Twelve hours basking: I'll try that, starting now.

Forced basking: Never, or not yet?

Dave
The coolest part of the enclosure should be over 70 at night. That is what ambient means to me.

I wouldn't call it forced basking. I see no harm in setting him near the basking area to show him that he can get warmed up, but I would not "force" him to sit under the basking lamp.

Dave CH

Switzerland
Forced basking just sounds wrong! You would have to really know the exact temperatures, and whether your tortoise is well hydrated, I would imagine. Just thinking. Not an expert!
Yes, it sounds wrong to me too TammyJ.
But some people do it.

I basically have a tort that is significantly slower to come up from hibernation than he has ever been since I first found him in the yard, fresh out of the egg and running for cover (him, not me).

I'm ready to leave him to do it in his own time. But I need to know (as surely as I can) that that's the right thing to do for him. I guess that's the main reason why I'm asking.

Dave

Dave CH

Switzerland
The coolest part of the enclosure should be over 70 at night. That is what ambient means to me.

I wouldn't call it forced basking. I see no harm in setting him near the basking area to show him that he can get warmed up, but I would not "force" him to sit under the basking lamp.
Thank you Tom.
I'm working on that.
I now have that as a daytime temperature where he's buried, at the "cool" end.

I'll check tonight if that holds up at night. If I find I have trouble getting that temperature, I'll move him up into the slightly smaller tank with his smaller cousin, at least overnight. It should be easier for me to hit 70+ there as the volume is a little smaller.

I've upped basking and UV as described.

Tomorrow AM, I'll move him into the warmer half (two-thirds) of the tank.
And see if that does the job.

Dave

Reactions: Tom