For my russian

macky9326

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
First of all a wee thank you for everyone who replies in advance :)

I am going to change Toby's enclosure from this ImageUploadedByTortForum1391915867.606449.jpg

To "a 50:50 mixture of high quality top soil and play sand with a little limestone grit added to provide some calcium if the substrate is eaten"

Hemp for his bedding and an under layer of his current woodchips to help soak up moisture, should I also have woodchips on the surface to provide different textures and microclimates or just the topsoil and playsand?

And as you might beable to see from the photo, Toby likes to dig =P

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me, I would not use sand, specially not 50/50. I would use just dirt. Sand can causes impaction if eaten.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't use sand, hemp, or wood chips.

I prefer something that can be kept damp like coco coir or orchid bark.

And I wouldn't use that coil bulb either. They can sometimes burn tortoise eyes.

Donatello

I am using coconut fiber and i will tell you what since i brought donatello home from the pet store, he has been digging away. He had bark in his enclosure at the store. The only thing about the coconut fiber is when he goes in his water dish it is everywhere. I have to dump it after. His water dish is one of those ones with a ramp. i coverd it so it was level with the substrate.