Foods to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kk1221kk

5 Year Member
I'm new to tortoise ownership and wondering if there are any food items known to be toxic to all tortoise types, like a general list of things to avoid, regardless of species. Sort of like dogs with grapes or chocolate. Specifically, we are getting a young Burmese Mtn tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Spinach is too be avoided by all as far as I know. Also, check the tortoisetable.org for other items. You can also check on the tortoiselibrary.com

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
wellington said:
Spinach is too be avoided by all as far as I know. Also, check the tortoisetable.org for other items. You can also check on the tortoiselibrary.com

Where did you hear that? Spinach actually has quite a lot to offer. The only reason people warn against it...Is oxalic acid. Which, really, is not harmful if the tortoise is hydrated. The amounts of oxalates in spinach should be harmless. Spinach is just as good as the next green in a varied diet, really. It should be limited, but not overlooked.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Another point about spinach is that it is high in protien and really good for torts as long as it is not a staple and varied. If you are worried about urates or a stone developing you could serve it with romaine lettuce.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
CtTortoiseMom said:
Another point about spinach is that it is high in protien and really good for torts as long as it is not a staple and varied. If you are worried about urates or a stone developing you could serve it with romaine lettuce.

Actualy, high-oxalate foods are best paired with high-calcium greens. The calcium oxalate crystals thus formed are easily passed through the urine if the tortoise is well-hydrated enough.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I always use serve the spinach with romaine because I suspect my tortoises are not as well hydrated in the winter as they are when they are outside in the spring/summer.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
CtTortoiseMom said:
I always use serve the spinach with romaine because I suspect my tortoises are not as well hydrated in the winter as they are when they are outside in the spring/summer.

Do you believe that romaine has more water content then other greens like collards, turnips, etc.? I've never heard one way or another, but just curious.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RedfootsRule said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Do you believe that romaine has more water content then other greens like collards, turnips, etc.? I've never heard one way or another, but just curious.

Yes, I believe it has minimal nutritional value but is good for hydration. I don't feed produce during the summer now that my outside enclosures are fully planted. So I spend a lot of the winter trying to find the perfect variation of store brought greens. Every time I notice Sid not going to the bathroom as much or having increased unrate's I feed romaine and it seems to fix the problem and gives him really nice moist poops.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
CtTortoiseMom said:
RedfootsRule said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Yes, I believe it has minimal nutritional value but is good for hydration. I don't feed produce during the summer now that my outside enclosures are fully planted. So I spend a lot of the winter trying to find the perfect variation of store brought greens. Every time I notice Sid not going to the bathroom as much or having increased unrate's I feed romaine and it seems to fix the problem and gives him really nice moist poops.

Wow, lettuce actually does have a pretty high water content. Interesting....94.9%, so they say. However, at the same time, the water content of yellow squash is 95%, papaya 90%, and they both have more to offer nutritionally, so I would personally lead towards that. Not that there is anything wrong with romaine...Just seems like squashes would be a better pick.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RedfootsRule said:
CtTortoiseMom said:
RedfootsRule said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Wow, lettuce actually does have a pretty high water content. Interesting....94.9%, so they say. However, at the same time, the water content of yellow squash is 95%, papaya 90%, and they both have more to offer nutritionally, so I would personally lead towards that. Not that there is anything wrong with romaine...Just seems like squashes would be a better pick.
Thanks, I will try the squash next time.

AesopTortoise

5 Year Member
Ky
Africantortoise.com has a very reliable toxic/beneficial food list.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
AesopTortoise said:
Africantortoise.com has a very reliable toxic/beneficial food list.

It lists Philodendron, Colocasia, and Alocosia as toxic, however all three are often recommended as diet items for Manouria.

Status
Not open for further replies.