Food variety

blueyedmama

So we have had our baby three toed for less than a month and he eats like a champ. Only problem is he only wants worms now. I have turtle pellets, box turtle food, blood worms, river shrimp, and live meal worms to offer. He used to at least nibble the other foods. Now when I fill his bowl he just stares up at me waiting for his worms. Should I just not give him worms and force him to eat turtle food?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I only feed live food about once a week.

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
We almost had a disaster with our son's two juvenile boxies. They would only eat worms, like yours, & their eyes were bulging - not enough of the right nutrients. We took them both, threw away all the worms, & gave them Mazuri, dark leafy greens, & extra doses of Vitamin D & calcium. A few months later, they were happy & healthy...but it was close! A turtle will eat when it's hungry, so please feed yours right.

Ken

captjack74

Lynbrook, New York
My 3 year old three toed box turtle will not eating anything live that moves. I give fruit, veggies, dark leaf greens and sometimes boiled chicken. Any recommendations on how to get him to eat anything else?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Go outside and in an area w/no pesticides, look under stuff and find a couple of Slugs....slimy slugs....I believe your turtle to be hard-wired to attack and eat them....drop them 2" from him and see what happens.

My Matilda went through a phase of not eating...I dropped worms close to her and slugs further away.....she INSTANTLY reacted and climbed over the worms to eat the slugs....a "feeding frenzy"..and she had never even seen slugs before!

Good luck!