Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's a good mixture, however, some tortoises won't eat it because it smells pungent. A better mix, in my opinion, is their Salad-Style Hay. If you're feeding a baby tortoise, you would put a bit of the hay into a bowl with some water while you chop up some greens. Once the hay is hydrated, mix it in with the greens. I have found that most baby tortoises won't eat hay or grass until they're about 2 years old or more. So softening the chopped up hay in water and mixing it in with the greens is a way to get them used to the texture and smell of it.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
My leopard tortoise actually enjoyed eating grass and he was only 3 months old. But I agree with Yvonne to mix it up with other greens and get the tort used to eating it. It seems like a good mixture to me :)

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Food Question?

Yvonne G said:
Yes, that's a good mixture, however, some tortoises won't eat it because it smells pungent. A better mix, in my opinion, is their Salad-Style Hay. If you're feeding a baby tortoise, you would put a bit of the hay into a bowl with some water while you chop up some greens. Once the hay is hydrated, mix it in with the greens. I have found that most baby tortoises won't eat hay or grass until they're about 2 years old or more. So softening the chopped up hay in water and mixing it in with the greens is a way to get them used to the texture and smell of it.

I just bought some hay salad your talking about for turbo...I bought a pound...Should last a bit...I hope he will eat it..
I bought the kind with oat, timothy and/or orchard grass..Is that the right one?
Jeremy

J REED

5 Year Member
Anyone else used this or know what im talking about?

Jeremy

dk1234

5 Year Member
I've bought and used this organic salad herbal mix for my tort. He's about 3-4inches long, so still very small. He loves grass and eats timothy hay from time to time, but he will not eat this :( It does make his enclosure smell really nice though.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
I bought the kind with oat, timothy and/or orchard grass..Is that the right one?
Jeremy
[/quote]

Yes, that or the orchard grass one are both excellent choices for a sully. Personally, I like variety and I assume my tortoise does too, so I would get the one you got. I currently feed mine something similar.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I'm little confuse where you guys got it. It seems like good info for me to take notes. My sulcatas like fresh grass but not much hay. Also the hay it seems to be getting stuck in their mouths because they can't cut it. I'll try leaving it in water.

My loves:
Husband
2 dogs Blue and Baxter
3 sulcatas Donatello, Penny, and Charlie.

Status
Not open for further replies.