Foil

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
Should I put foil over the screen to hold in more moisture? Temp is great under the lamp but moister is at 50%.

1425127612546.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Foil would help but watch the temps because it will hold the heat as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Donna:

How do you moisten that substrate without making the cardboard weak and falling apart? Also, the screen blocks some of the UVB rays...is that your UVB light on the screen? And how does the tortoise get inside the humid hide? I don't see a door?

I would use foil. It really helps to keep out the cool house air and in the warm, moist air.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Haha I forgot to make a door in the Humid Hide!!!! Only kidding lol. It is on the front that you can't see. I have only had him for a few weeks. The cardboard is very temp. I am building the outdoor sunning enclosure now. I need help with the indoor enclosure and haven't found it yet. I found one I would like to duplicate, but haven't found someone that can build it yet. The cardboard is not your typical cardboard. It is super thick and heavy duty. So far it is holding up. I think it absorbs the moisture because I have to mist it every couple of hours. I can't keep doing this, I have have to start building something more permanent soon. Wish there were building plans on the internet.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Haha I forgot to make a door in the Humid Hide!!!! Only kidding lol. It is on the front that you can't see. I have only had him for a few weeks. The cardboard is very temp. I am building the outdoor sunning enclosure now. I need help with the indoor enclosure and haven't found it yet. I found one I would like to duplicate, but haven't found someone that can build it yet. The cardboard is not your typical cardboard. It is super thick and heavy duty. So far it is holding up. I think it absorbs the moisture because I have to mist it every couple of hours. I can't keep doing this, I have have to start building something more permanent soon. Wish there were building plans on the internet.
Over here we buy most of our bedroom cupboards in flatpack condition and you assemble them yourself. Someone needs to apply this to the tortoise table.Could be shipped world wide flatpacked. Be a right good market there for someone. Just another one of my far out ideas. lol :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It would be great if someone could come up with premade enclosure. One that could be put together easily by people like me who do not own power tools and don't know how to build things that are very technical. The problem is it would have to be big enough, there are a couple on the market but they are small. but if one could be made that was big enough, some pre-drilled holes and some screws and easy to follow instructions it would be a good thing. And it could be marketed to the pet stores that sell these for tortoises so that they don't end up in a small aquarium.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It would be great if someone could come up with premade enclosure. One that could be put together easily by people like me who do not own power tools and don't know how to build things that are very technical. The problem is it would have to be big enough, there are a couple on the market but they are small. but if one could be made that was big enough, some pre-drilled holes and some screws and easy to follow instructions it would be a good thing. And it could be marketed to the pet stores that sell these for tortoises so that they don't end up in a small aquarium.
Better still it could be done via this forum. that way it would have the highest constructive criticism to create the best enclosure and funds go to this forum.
Things like lights,lining and hides would be best not included as these would be cheaper to source locally. Just a bare solid descent size enclosure that forced people to use the correct lighting. Would help thousands out there, be easy to distribute across America.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
This is a great idea. Has it ever been discussed trying to get everyone together once a year in a central location?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is a great idea. Has it ever been discussed trying to get everyone together once a year in a central location?
I'm in the UK. But it would work for you guys over there to a great advantage. Needs a good carpenter source and these guys on here. Job done.
I know there are guys over here making tort tables, trouble is they are pre built, this affects size and cost of delivery. I'm talking 2x2ft up to 2x4ft. Not big enough. Now let me tell you my next thought I've had before, If they were made in lets say 2x4ft modular sizes. So that a 2nd one can be bought as the tort grows and they fit together to make 4x4ft and so on.
Could buy 300 modular packs for an Aldabra.lol:) only kidding that was a joke.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
That is funny, but true. One of the lady's on here owns at least 2 of them. I didn't realize they are bigger than Sulcata's. I would be happy if someone just made a You Tube video showing the basics of making one. I don't know where to even get started. My husband is from Brixton.....he wasn't in the prison there. I am going to make him help me build something tomorrow. He doesn't know it yet.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That is funny, but true. One of the lady's on here owns at least 2 of them. I didn't realize they are bigger than Sulcata's. I would be happy if someone just made a You Tube video showing the basics of making one. I don't know where to even get started. My husband is from Brixton.....he wasn't in the prison there. I am going to make him help me build something tomorrow. He doesn't know it yet.
Bribery always works;)