Fogging and Tortoise Health

yusufning

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hi,

Most of my tortoise live in my garden. The garden undergoes fogging once a month carried out by Rentokil. During fogging, I would put the tortoise inside my house and then release them back out around 4 hours after they finish fogging my garden.

I'm scared that there is still a residue of the chemicals and insecticide in the grasses and their enclosure and will affect my tortoise health negatively in the long run.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'd find out from the company what chemicals they're using, what contraindications those chemicals might have for reptiles, and how long the chemicals remain active in your garden after spraying ... it sounds from your post as though you have multiple tortoises living in the garden, and that they've at least been surviving the monthly sprayings for a while, but it makes sense (at least to me) to check it out, and see.

Jamie

yusufning

Jakarta
I'd find out from the company what chemicals they're using, what contraindications those chemicals might have for reptiles, and how long the chemicals remain active in your garden after spraying ... it sounds from your post as though you have multiple tortoises living in the garden, and that they've at least been surviving the monthly sprayings for a while, but it makes sense (at least to me) to check it out, and see.

Jamie
Yes you are correct. Theyve undergone this regime for more than 12 years and Rentokil said that I can let any pet to play in garden around at least 2 hours after fogging. But again I just had a realization what if all these times theyre actually residue still present.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes you are correct. Theyve undergone this regime for more than 12 years and Rentokil said that I can let any pet to play in garden around at least 2 hours after fogging. But again I just had a realization what if all these times theyre actually residue still present.
What are they eating?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I DO NOT allow any spraying of chemicals on the plants and grasses growing where the tortoises live.

You are asking for trouble if you allow them to fog your tortoises' area. It may not kill them today, but it might build up in their system and organs and eventually kill them.

Did you explain to the people that do the fogging that your tortoises don't "play in the garden," but rather, they actually EAT the stuff that's been sprayed?

drew54

Indiana
Insecticides can present toxins that can build up over time and make an animal sick or they can have a relatively immediate affects. I think it would be worth getting some info as jsheffield suggested.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What are they eating?
I asked what the tortoises are eating because I have to think they are eating the stuff growing outside that is being sprayed with who knows what for the past 12 years every month. How come you are just now getting concerned about it? Are you seeing some symptoms of illness or any unusual behaviour in the tortoises?

yusufning

Jakarta
I asked what the tortoises are eating because I have to think they are eating the stuff growing outside that is being sprayed with who knows what for the past 12 years every month. How come you are just now getting concerned about it? Are you seeing some symptoms of illness or any unusual behaviour in the tortoises?
Nope, I wasn't aware that they were spraying my garden as I live in Australia most of the time and only around 2 months (sporadically 7 days each visit) in my house in Jakarta (where the tortoise live also it's my parents' house). Since a year ago, I moved all of the my tortoise species on my rooftop garden. But the problem is, my collection has been getting really big and I don't think there is enough space on my rooftop garden so I'm considering putting some of them back in my old enclosure in the garden. Also, I don't wanna sell or give it to other people as tortoise education and animal care/husbandry is really bad in my Jakarta (they buy without any single clue how to take care of them).

yusufning

Jakarta
Also, they are eating outsourced food (hay, grasses, produce, some pellets once in a while) so not food from the garden.

yusufning

Jakarta
Make sure their water pool is cleaned out and fresh water is provided for them after each spraying, you don't want them to drink the spray.
Ive decided not to put any of them back in the garden. My parents wont stop the spraying so I guess ill expand in the rooftop. Thanks :)