Fogger or rain system?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
I have a fogger for my reds. I got it on amazon for half off. It acted up a little but I wrote the company and they instructed me how to fix it. It also stopped working once because I didn't use distilled water. But I soaked it in vinegar and lemon and rinsed it, it works great now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I guess it depends on what you want it for.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It depends, I always used sprinklers for my outdoor enclosure. But I keep mt. Tortoises and red foots, and sometimes these so. California heat and dryness is to much so they like a little rain. Foggers is more practical for smaller enclosure. What species is this for? And what type of enclosure?

Kyle

tortgirl123

It's for my indoor enclosure, he's an ibera greek about 4.5 months old. I want to get it more humid more consistently. When I squirt down the enclosure i let it get up to about seventy percent humid, then it will fall to the thirties. I've tried a covered enclosure still isn't working. It's time to buy something to help.

tortgirl123

Pretty deep. But sense there is no way for drainage I could just see it getting gross and moldy so that's a no go on the rain, I'm just gonna get the fogger!

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I have the rain/mister and not gonna lie, don't care for it and kinda wish I hadn't spent the money. Keeps the substrate too wet for my taste....

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Why get either? They will both increase ambient humidity, but it's the humidity in the substrate and on the surface that really matters. You can get that by pouring water in & raking it through if you need to. What am I missing?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I can't pour and rake easily - the ground has many rocks, dishes, moss, etc. I do pour water where I can and let the substrate soak it up. I bought one to make sure I kept the humidity up high for my redfoot, but I think it can be done fine without a fogger or mister of it's not an open enclosure.

tortgirl123

I've tried all. I'm not home during the day so I can't pray it down. I'd rather have a fogger on a timer. It's not gonna be on all day just like every 35 minutes on the lowest setting, so I can make sure we don't have any URIs.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I water my indoor habitats thoroughly once or twice a week. Usually I don't rake at all. Poking a finger down indicates how deeply the dampness lies.

It's important that the animals be able to burrow into some moisture. So even if you're providing moisture in the air, you'll need to make sure it reaches down into the substrate.