Fluker's Tortoise Diet: First Time Owner

Charles Deng

I got my first tortoise yesterday, a very healthy Eastern Hermann hatchling. I put some of the Fluker's Tortoise diet into his food bowl and it wouldn't touch it...later I put in some Romaine lettuce and some weeds and it chowed down, so it was obviously hungry. Does anyone have any experience with this Fluker's tortoise diet? Is there anything wrong with feeding this to a hatchling? Also, does anyone have a better diet to recommend? Thanks.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I've never tried the stuff to be honest. I only use Mazuri as far as commercial diets go and it has proven to produce excellent results with Hermann's here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Charles!

In my opinion, the best thing to feed your tortoise is weeds and plants. If you don't have edible weeds and plants in your yard, then dark, leafy greens from the store, but weeds and plants are the best. I use Mazuri Tortoise Diet once a week. I like for the tortoises to get a taste of a manufactured diet just in case I don't have access to a natural diet. That way I have something to fall back on. Another one I have used and like is the Zoo Med Grassland tortoise Diet. I'm not sure if the Hermanni would eat that one though, as they're more into the broad leaf plants and weeds than grasses.

Charles Deng

Thanks for the help and welcome guys. I have started a weed garden and will be feeding my tortoise weeds and leafy greens, but I wanted to supplement his diet with a tortoise diet just in case I am missing some crucial nutrients. I have contacted the tortoise breeder that I got him from and he said the tortoise was fed a Mazuri diet with lots of greens. That bit of info along with your recommendations have been really helpful for me! I just placed an order for the Maruzi diet. Thanks a ton!