Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This one thrives during the hottest, driest part of summer here. Anyone know what it is?
33wlkaw.jpg

2vl2umv.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Reminds me of something from the Nightshade family... I would be careful of it, until you get a positive ID.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Its called .....Datura Alba
~Angel's Trumpet Flower~

JD~:)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have one that looks like yours but mine blooms at night, I bought the seeds from a farmer at one of the market days here at the beach and he called it Moon Glory

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its just a weed out here. Grows all over the place. The wild animals don't touch it, so maybe that's a good indication of toxicity. Bummer. Thanks all.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A shrubby 5' Datura with pendulous white trumpet flowers 5" long. Large green seed spheres develop after the flowering
I wouldnt feed it to the torts .... but here are some interesting facts

This Zuni legend about the origin of Datura also provides an insight into the nature of it's essential character. A'neglakya and his sister could 'make people fall asleep and have visionary dreams'. Since time immemorial various Datura species have been revered as sacred visionary plants by practically all cultures who have come into contact with it. There are many different species in this genus (e.g. Datura ceratocaula, Datura ferox, Datura innoxia, Datura metel, Datura quercifolia, Datura stramonium, Datura tatula, Datura wrightii, Datura discolor, Datura alba, Datura fastuosa, and this article also includes references to the closely related Brugmansia species). Their distribution spans all warm and tropical regions of the world. Daturas usually grow as herbaceous annuals/perennials whilst some Brugmansias grow into trees. The most striking feature, shared by all species are the beautiful trumpet-like flowers, ranging in color from white to pinkish purple, and in some varieties even to bright golden yellow and red. The flowers exude a beautiful, narcotic scent, especially at night. The seed capsules of the Datura species are typically the size of a walnut and are covered with thorns that may become quite sharp and spiky as the plant matures. The appearance of these seed-capsules has given rise to the English common name, 'Thornapple' and the German 'Stechapfel'. When the 'apple' is ripe the capsule opens up into four segments, thus releasing its little black to pale-brown seeds. The Brugmansia fruits are more succulent and usually have a smooth surface. The seeds are similar colours, sharply angular and generally larger than those of Datura (approx. 0.75 cm).
The Chumash people of California regarded Datura (Datura metel) as their 'Culture Plant'. According to their Cosmology the world was originally inhabited by 'the First People', supernatural beings who were regarded as the tribal ancestors

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nice to know what these plants really are. I would see them all over the west coast and figured with the nightshade look, that they were not a good plant for my uses. They are kinda pretty.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also called Jimsen weed. Kids use it as an hallucenogenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.