Flower/Plant ID?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This plant popped up this spring and its spreading like wildfire. Anyone know what it is?
IMG_0999.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The venerable Tortoise Table plant list had this to say about it:
"Common name : Evening Primrose
Latin name : Oenothera biennis
Family name : Onagraceae

evening primrose, although a wild flower, is often cultivated and grown in UK gardens/ Both the leaves and flowers are safe.
The flowers only last for 1 to 2 days and tortoises love them.

The flowers are normally yellow but there is a variety that has pink flowers."

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=18

Sounds great, BUT this is using a different latin name than the one I have. Tortoise trust lists Oenothera biennis. The one I have appears to be Oenothera speciosa. Same genus, different species.

Does anyone have experience feeding this to tortoises? Either one?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My Russian is eating speciosa like crazy right now. It's a common spring desert plant now used often in drought-tolerant gardens in our state. I see it on medians and minimally landscaped roadsides often. Very safe, to my knowledge.

It spreads easily by runner and (I think) seed. I was initially concerned about keeping it controlled in our yard but it's been way easier than anticipated; it dies back when things dry up. (I imagine for you, the more it spreads, the happier you'll be.)

My only problem is her dislike of nearly every other food since it started heavy bloom.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My Russian is eating speciosa like crazy right now. It's a common spring desert plant now used often in drought-tolerant gardens in our state. I see it on medians and minimally landscaped roadsides often. Very safe, to my knowledge.

It spreads easily by runner and (I think) seed. I was initially concerned about keeping it controlled in our yard but it's been way easier than anticipated; it dies back when things dry up. (I imagine for you, the more it spreads, the happier you'll be.)

My only problem is her dislike of nearly every other food since it started heavy bloom.

Thank you Rosemary!