Flipping Sulcata's

kts4980

Location (City and/or State)
Kill Devil Hills
How old will my baby Sulcata's be before they stop this non sense!! Stressing me out. I am wondering at what age Sulcata tortoises stop flipping over? I lost 1 of my 4 babies and it was terrible. I am now so very anxious about them. I have a what I believe a rather large enclosure for their size outside where they stay during the day and smaller crate they stay in at night.

I have attached a picture of their current outdoor enclosure, there crate for at night and the new indoor tortoise table I am currently building. Any suggestions are welcomed. THANKS!

Attachments

• tortoises1.jpg
    tortoises1.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 19
  • tortoises2.jpg
    tortoises2.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 17
  • tortoise3.jpg
    tortoise3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 18

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They should be housed inside in a closed chamber with only short visits outside. They need constant high humidity and correct temps when first starting out.
Please read the caresheet and change things asap.
From what I can tell in the one pic they look very small yet.
As for flipping, get them set up correctly and see if that helps.
Are they flipping themselves or are they flipping each other?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old will my baby Sulcata's be before they stop this non sense!! Stressing me out. I am wondering at what age Sulcata tortoises stop flipping over? I lost 1 of my 4 babies and it was terrible. I am now so very anxious about them. I have a what I believe a rather large enclosure for their size outside where they stay during the day and smaller crate they stay in at night.

I have attached a picture of their current outdoor enclosure, there crate for at night and the new indoor tortoise table I am currently building. Any suggestions are welcomed. THANKS!
It looks like you've found the typical wrong care advice. Open tables are no good for baby sulcatas. The outdoor enclosure looks nice but the plants around the edges like that will allow them to climb out.

The biggest problem I see is that you've used soil with perlite in it. This can be deadly to them. Get them off the soil ASAP. Like right now. Immediately.

Another issue is the hay. Babies don't eat hay, and having it sitting on damp substrate will make it mold.

Here is all the correct care info. Questions are welcome:

The flipping could be happening because of several issues. I'll bet it stops if you are able to make the changes suggested in the care sheet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my experience, I see baby tortoises flipping when I'm late getting their food out to them. They get up, look around for food, it's not there, so the go to a wall and try to climb out, ending up on their back after falling down.

I'll bet if you set them up indoors in a closed enclosure with lots of plants (in the middle of the enclosure) to make it feel safer, with food always at the feeding station, you'll see an end to them falling on their backs.