flipping onto his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me why Boris flips over?
Is is scary to se him like that his legs moving frantically and I am afraid I will not be here to flip him back over, what causes this?
If they do this in the wild how do they flip back over?
What can I do to prevent this, I mean when he does it there isnt anything he could of fallen off of

Thank you for any information you can give me

M

Maggie Cummings

You need to see what he is using to flip himself over like a half log hide or a rock something like that and remove it. Does he have something he's using like that?

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
You need to see what he is using to flip himself over like a half log hide or a rock something like that and remove it. Does he have something he's using like that?

I cant see anything that he could use its not always in the same place

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
What maggie is saying "Is there a ledge of any kind that he could lose his footing".

You basically need to baby proof the cage for a few weeks until you see him right himself in under 30 seconds.

I used a lot of mulch to soften the crash if they did roll down the log or fall off the 2 inch planter tray. The little goofballs would constantly enjoy the slope of the half log only to crash and land upside down. No time remembered because by the time I peak back at him, he's gone. That ended my worries.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Read this thread for some ideas how to avoid them flipping so much:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-11797.html

There's another thread on here titled "Timed a Flipped Tortoise", but I can't seem to track it down. :(

And good luck! It is very distressing to watch them struggle on their backs, and because their organs exert pressure on their lungs in that position, it is significantly dangerous. Folks on this forum have concluded that most tortoises do flip over from time to time, and that they generally are able to right themselves again on their own. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.