Flipped Leopard

kr1202

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hello!
I just came home to my year old leopard on their side. Could they put up a fight to flip back and I believe urinated. They were not under the basking lamp but somewhat close to it. I got them corrected and immediately soaked. No signs of trouble breathing or lethargic. Walking around and acting normal. I’ve read horror stories of them dying in the next couple of days. Should I be worried?? I called my vet and told me it’ll be okay…

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If he's active and eating I think he should be OK, but keep an eye on him and you need to find out why he flipped and remove any hazards so that it doesn't happen again.
If you post a picture of his enclosure members can advise on how to make sure it's as safe as possible.

kr1202

NC
if he's active and eating he should be OK, but you need to find out why he flipped and remove any hazards so that it doesn't happen again.
I was scared to give any food in case bowels were affected like I’ve read. He drank some of the water and continued on. Even to this day. He has a fascination with climbing on the sides of his tank even though they are blocked where there is no view out. The only thing I can think to do is add more substrate so he can grasp it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I was scared to give any food in case bowels were affected like I’ve read. He drank some of the water and continued on. Even to this day. He has a fascination with climbing on the sides of his tank even though they are blocked where there is no view out. The only thing I can think to do is add more substrate so he can grasp it.
I've not heard that, but maybe @Yvonne @Tom or some of the other more experienced keepers can advise you about that.
If you post some pics of his enclosure we can help you spot why he's doing that, and make changes so it's as safe as possible.

kr1202

NC
Where I found him was to the right of the hide which has no slope and a large opening to go in. Food bowl was not close by the be the culprit either.

Attachments

• 6D274DB0-8F1A-4BEB-BB4B-28B137D1D3DC.jpeg
    6D274DB0-8F1A-4BEB-BB4B-28B137D1D3DC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

kr1202

NC
Where I found him was to the right of the hide which has no slope and a large opening to go in. Food bowl was not close by the be the culprit either.
In this pic you’ll see where he burrowed to go to bed for the night in the corner lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id guess that if it’s up and walking all about “normally” again that it’s probably going to be ok. Luckily, it didnt stay on it’s back under a basking lamp.

My guess is that your enclosure is too small.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem is that the enclosure is way too small. Tiny hatchlings need at least 24x28 inches of floor space. At a year old, at least double that or more, depending on growth rate.

Being able to see out does not cause the problems you've read about. Small enclosures cause that problem.

Being on their back for long periods of time usually does no harm to babies other than stress and dehydration from peeing a bunch. Its adults that can have more serious trouble, but the trouble is usually suffocation or over heating in the sun.

kr1202

NC
The problem is that the enclosure is way too small. Tiny hatchlings need at least 24x28 inches of floor space. At a year old, at least double that or more, depending on growth rate.

Being able to see out does not cause the problems you've read about. Small enclosures cause that problem.

Being on their back for long periods of time usually does no harm to babies other than stress and dehydration from peeing a bunch. Its adults that can have more serious trouble, but the trouble is usually suffocation or over heating in the sun.
Yep I think it is definitely time to upgrade on space. I’ll still keep a close watch and make sure nothing goes wrong in the mean time. Thank you everyone for the help! Quite a stressful thing to come home to.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What bulb is in the holder and are you using a clamp for it?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
CHE, basking heat bulb, and UVB bulb. All in clamp domes
Be careful of the clamps they have been known to fail and start fires or burn torts. Lamps are safer when hung from above so that you can raise or lower them to adjust temps.
If the uvb lamp is a coiled or cfl type bulb there is a risk they can burn tort eyes.
T5 HO uvb tube kits are safer and last longer.

kr1202

NC
Be careful of the clamps they have been known to fail and start fires or burn torts. Lamps are safer when hung from above so that you can raise or lower them to adjust temps.
If the uvb lamp is a coiled or cfl type bulb there is a risk they can burn tort eyes.
T5 HO uvb tube kits are safer and last longer.
We are good on uvb. No coils or any of that. I’ve don’t extensive research on all that and with the help of some people on here. I’ve had the same lamps for over a year so far no troubles.

kr1202

NC
Thank you also Lyn for your help and quick responses!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guess is that your enclosure may not be large enough and the tortoise is needing more space. Another problem may be that there are not enough places to hide in your enclosure.