Flat top of shell and discoloration

petstoreworker

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi everybody 🙂 I work at a pet store, and we just got this tortoise in yesterday. I'm suspecting there was some improper husbandry in his past, but I am wondering if anyone knows what exactly is wrong. The top of his shell is kind of flat, his shell is discolored, and there also seems to be a little damage on one side.
Does he need a vet? Is this just cosmetic, or potentially a health issue? He doesn't seem to have any issue eating, drinking and pooping, so far. He is from a breeder who says he was born in January of this year, but I don't have any other information on his previous living situation.
Thank you in advance!
IMG_20240406_084524071.jpgIMG_20240406_084710166.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a Russian and he was not born/hatched in January of this year. He looks like an adult. My male Russian is well over 15 years old and looks to be the size as this one.
The shell doesn't look bad. Hard to say why it's flatter on the very top.
From the pics he doesn't look bad.

petstoreworker

Arizona
That is a Russian and he was not born/hatched in January of this year. He looks like an adult. My male Russian is well over 15 years old and looks to be the size as this one.
The shell doesn't look bad. Hard to say why it's flatter on the very top.
From the pics he doesn't look bad.
Wow! That is surprising - I doubted that he was born this year but didn't think he was fully adult. To hear he could potentially be 10+ years is shocking. I'm glad to hear he doesn't have any serious issues with his shell but now I'm worried he might be wild caught, which is not what I want at all in my store. Thank you for the insight!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a little known fact that there are several different subspecies of russian tortoise. The tortoise pictured here is a pretty old tortoise and not the usually sold sub species. I'm not well versed enough to tell you which he is, but the carapace is normal for that sub species. I'd say he's 15 or 20 years old.

petstoreworker

Arizona
It is a little known fact that there are several different subspecies of russian tortoise. The tortoise pictured here is a pretty old tortoise and not the usually sold sub species. I'm not well versed enough to tell you which he is, but the carapace is normal for that sub species. I'd say he's 15 or 20 years old.
Thank you!! OMG, I had no idea he was that old. I will have to do more research on subspecies!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you!! OMG, I had no idea he was that old. I will have to do more research on subspecies!!
We used to have a thread by Egyptian Dan in the Sticky Threads at the top of the Russian section with pictures showing the different sub species. I don't know if it's still there.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
We used to have a thread by Egyptian Dan in the Sticky Threads at the top of the Russian section with pictures showing the different sub species. I don't know if it's still there.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. Welcome to the forum. I think you have a real treasure there! Keep him, and stick with us here to make sure he thrives in your care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So @petstoreworker - it looks like your Russian tortoise is a Kazachstanika.

Also, I forgot to mention the 'color' you refer to is just that because the tortoise is so old, the pattern on the shell has worn smooth.

(Thank you, Jaizei. I can always depend on you to come through in a search )

petstoreworker

Arizona
Wow. Welcome to the forum. I think you have a real treasure there! Keep him, and stick with us here to make sure he thrives in your care.
Everybody here is so kind and helpful. Thank you so much!! 🙏 I am really considering taking him, I have been doing a lot of research on here about care and set up for Russian tortoise.