Fix this box turtle's shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, AR
I just found a three toed box turtle in the woods today. The scute has a small crack resulting in a small separation of the shell. It's kind of like having a hangnail so to speak except the scute is split causing the bottom part to hang down a bit. Here is a picture. How can I fix this shell for the turtle? Also, is it a male or female? Thank you, Austin.

Attachments

• Shell 1.jpg
    Shell 1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Shell 2.jpg
    Shell 2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Shell 3.jpg
    Shell 3.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Shell 4.jpg
    Shell 4.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 84

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't think that I would do anything to it. It will probably end up falling off on it's own, or healing on it's own. Either way, it appears to be an old injury.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
yagyujubei said:
I don't think that I would do anything to it. It will probably end up falling off on it's own, or healing on it's own. Either way, it appears to be an old injury.

That was my thoughts. Safe to take her back to where you found her and let her go.

M

Maggie Cummings

Please return it to the place you found it and let it go...Thanks so much

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Looks like a very pretty female, but I would have to see the back legs to tell for sure. Either way I agree that it is best to take her back to the exact spot where found and let her go.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
agree that it should heal up on its own, if you wanted to put something on it, i would use a good grade honey for a couple days, then turn her loose.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Looks like a male three toed. It's seems to me to be an old injury, and should be fine. Please put him back exactly where you found him. I wouldn't put honey on him if he's going back into the wild. It would only attract predators.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Yes, I'll avoid the honey. He'll go back outside tomorrow after a nice meal or two. He was along a paved walking trail.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
austinl01 said:
Yes, I'll avoid the honey. He'll go back outside tomorrow after a nice meal or two. He was along a paved walking trail.

that sounds like a good plan. If in the future you ever do utilize honey here are some good articles about it. You do have to be careful with ants, so i would not recommend releasing an animal covered in it, it does however provide very fast results. I have more reading material about it, personal experience, and great colleagues doing some amazing shell repairs.

honey fyi...

Honey in integrative veterinary medicine"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-palmquist-dvm/honey-in-integrative-vete_b_834771.html

Short article on sea turtle usage for honey
http://www.naturehaven.com/Ocean/turtle.html

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
I'll look into those links about honey for future info.

Anyone know where I can buy a nice pair of adult three toed boxies that are used to captivity or captive raised?

Status
Not open for further replies.