first tortiose ever!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
hi im borg from colorado and i just got my first tortiose. she is a young redfoot named tori. she is 4-5 in. log and is beautiful. she lives in a 2 1/2 by 3 foot toriose table and gets to roam my house as often as she likes. i have the proper lighting and i keep half my table pretty damp while the other half stays kind dry. i have plenty of shade and a nice hiding spot for her. her diet right now is spring mix, collard greens, mustard greens, occasionaly some kale and a variety of fruits and melons twice aweek. i havent fed her any protien yet. temps stay between 75 -80 degrees.
i hope to meet lots of you and trade stories and experinces. this is my first forum as well so forgive me if it takes a while to figure thimgs out. any suggestions on my table setup or diet is greatly apreciated.
pictures soon i promise!!!!!!!!!!

Tortoise Love

5 Year Member
Thanx. Well I have a sulcata, Indian Star, 2 CherryHead redfoot, 2 regular Redfoot, and a babcocki tortoise. I would like to know do you sale Aldabra tortoises? How much? hatchlings?:D

LindaF

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome. Be careful letting your baby roam around the house. They can get into mischief and eat things they shouldn't. Their poop can be hard to clean off the carpet as well :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Borg:

Welcome to the forum!!

Since this is your "first tortoise ever," please take a hint from those of us who have more than a first one, and a bit more experience:

I don't recommend allowing a tortoise to roam around the house on the floor. Its too cold down there. And besides that, the tortoise might find something to eat that could harm him. A tortoise needs to have his body temperature at LEAST 80 degrees in order to digest his food. I'm sure you floor ISN'T 80 degrees. Even if he sits by the motor of the refrigerator and warms up, the floor is too cold for him. They do much better in their own habitat.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Colorado
LindaF said:
Hello and welcome. Be careful letting your baby roam around the house. They can get into mischief and eat things they shouldn't. Their poop can be hard to clean off the carpet as well :)

yeah she she is a trouble maker but i keep a close eye on her. thanks:).
this is all very exciting

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Welcome!
..but the point of not allowing her to roam on the floor, is the temp most of all. you may never lose sight of her, but still too cold. unless you have that neat radiant in floor heating...:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Welcome!
..but the point of not allowing her to roam on the floor, is the temp most of all. you may never lose sight of her, but still too cold. unless you have that neat radiant in floor heating...:)

Thank you, Laura...I had a feeling that part was getting lost in the shuffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.