First time tortoise

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Uranus
For the first time in my life, I've now been able to get hold of a pair of beautiful tortoises. I am really delighted to have them, and want to take good care.

But I'm zero about them. Most I know is what I have lurked through on this forum. I'd appreciate friends here, to help me raise them, with good health.

I have no clue what their species are. Can you make it out from the picture ?
IMG-1419949703113-V.jpg
IMG-1419949795452-V.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ricky, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm guessing that "Mars" isn't in the U.S. because your two star tortoises are a bit hard to come by here. Their scientific name is probably Geochelone elegans, but I'm not quite sure of the actual species. There are a couple different species of star tortoise.

You can start out by setting them up similar to how we say in our Leopard tortoise care sheet, which is pinned at the top of the Leopard tortoise section.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Hi Ricky, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm guessing that "Mars" isn't in the U.S. because your two star tortoises are a bit hard to come by here. Their scientific name is probably Geochelone elegans, but I'm not quite sure of the actual species. There are a couple different species of star tortoise.

You can start out by setting them up similar to how we say in our Leopard tortoise care sheet, which is pinned at the top of the Leopard tortoise section.

Thank you Yvonne.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hello and welcome. It would be nice if you told us what part of the world you live in. Food available to me might not be in your country however we have members from all over the world and they can help as well.

Those care sheets given will help you out quite a bit and you seem to have to indian star tortoises there. Good luck and ask if you have any questions.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Hello and welcome. It would be nice if you told us what part of the world you live in. Food available to me might not be in your country however we have members from all over the world and they can help as well.

Those care sheets given will help you out quite a bit and you seem to have to indian star tortoises there. Good luck and ask if you have any questions.

I am based out of India. I've started feeding them with grated radish and coriander leaves. It has been less than 24 hrs since I brought them in. I guess they are shy or terrified. And might take some time to get accustomed to me.

How do tortoises feed ? Do we have to watch them ? Or just put the food and leave it for them to eat at their leisure ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can just put a nice big pile of greens on a slate or tile and go away and leave them. But I wouldn't be feeding radishes. Dark, leafy greens would be the best bet.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
You can just put a nice big pile of greens on a slate or tile and go away and leave them. But I wouldn't be feeding radishes. Dark, leafy greens would be the best bet.
OKay!! Thanks Yvonne. I guess I'll feed them on Spinach and Coriander leaves.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
BTW, how old do you think these guys are ? From what I've read so far, the hatchlings are supposed to be 1 - 1.5 inches. By that rate, I am inclined to believe that they may be a year old ???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hard to tell from the picture but certainly not older than a year.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Now that it has been around 10 days since I adopted them, I'm happy to share that they are doing fine.

They love to bask in the sun. They also enjoy taking a semi dip into the water. And they love to munch on green leaves of spinach and coriander.
Earlier they used to hide into their shell when they saw me close. But now, looks like they are slowly getting acquainted.