First time tortoise keeper

billytort

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello all this is my tortoise IMG_0684.jpg just got him/her last week I live in the uk I brought my tortoise from a local pet shop and the guy was a temp and didn’t give me much info although at the time I didn’t know what to ask anyway lol

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello! There is lots of helpful info here to guide you to a long & healthy relationship with your new tort! I’m pretty new myself so I won’t even begin to offer advice but congrats and welcome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Go to the Russian section and read our care sheet. You'll find it pinned at the top of that section.

daniellenc

Maryland
Welcome and definitely read read read. He'll need some new substrate and his water bowl sunk into the ground to prevent drowning. Ask as many questions as you need to for clarity as well there is a ton of information on here.

billytort

Uk
Substrate is mix of sand and top soil that first pic was last week I’ve since done research and changed a lot but still need as much help and input many thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Substrate is mix of sand and top soil that first pic was last week I’ve since done research and changed a lot but still need as much help and input many thanks
The first pic looked like you used yard dirt. If that is correct, it was probably okay. The new substrate is dangerous and needs to be removed ASAP. Soil, sand or shavings should never be used with tortoises. Orchid bark is best.

This looks like an outdoor enclosure and the walls look too tall to let in any of that rare UK sun that you might see. Where does he stay when the weather is not nice?

billytort

Uk
Yes this is outdoors summer is in full swing here right now . I can change the height of the sides easily also will change substrate I watched a YouTube vid where the guy said top soil and play sand was best . Also in process of building tortoise table indoors for winter

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome! Stay off of YouTube and stay here. Tons of the correct information here. I watched YouTube at the same time I found this forum. There is tons of wrong info on YouTube. From what I have learned sand is a no no. It can impact them. I use cypress chips and coconut coir. But there are many substrates to choose. Read the care sheets they are helpful.