First Time Owner: Heat Pad Question

kr1202

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hello everyone!

I have just gotten a new leopard hatchling and currently learning the ropes. I received a heating pad along with bulbs for my tortoise for an indoor enclosure. During the day, he/she has their light source for heat from above. At night, we have been utilizing the heat pad with lights above off. I have read opinions on heat pads and how they can be harmful and worried I might harm the little one. Regardless, they seem to like it and always burrows its way to the bottom if it is on at night, even if I readjust and fill the hole. Therefor, I am not sure if it is trying to do its thing and regulate itself and I am keeping it from that or just doesn't know better.

Basically, are heating pads (ones meant for reptiles, not human ones) okay for night warmth or should I get rid of it completely? At night temps get to mid-low 70s matching with the cool side even with the heating pad on.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The main concern with heating pads is that your tort could overheat or burn itself.

The only safe way to run a heating pad in a reptile enclosure is to run it through a thermostatic controller.

Jamie

kr1202

NC
The main concern with heating pads is that your tort could overheat or burn itself.

The only safe way to run a heating pad in a reptile enclosure is to run it through a thermostatic controller.

Jamie
Happy birthday! And thank you! Unfortunately, this heating pad does not have a thermostat control. I believe the brand is Fluker and did not specify the temp it gets to. To the touch, it is not extremely hot and the glass at the bottom is not extremely hot but it can be a different experience for the tort.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Happy birthday! And thank you! Unfortunately, this heating pad does not have a thermostat control. I believe the brand is Fluker and did not specify the temp it gets to. To the touch, it is not extremely hot and the glass at the bottom is not extremely hot but it can be a different experience for the tort.

I use a bunch of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO6N0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

61ROvGd9nFL._SL1500_.jpg

in my various enclosures... basically, you plug the appliance (heating pad or heat lamp or CHE) into the thermostat and set the temp you want it to deliver... you place the units thermometer in the enclosure near your measuring point and adjust as needed to reach your desired heat-level.

Jamie

kr1202

NC
I use a bunch of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E9IO6N0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

View attachment 314719

in my various enclosures... basically, you plug the appliance (heating pad or heat lamp or CHE) into the thermostat and set the temp you want it to deliver... you place the units thermometer in the enclosure near your measuring point and adjust as needed to reach your desired heat-level.

Jamie
Thank you, Jamie! Any suggested temps for the pads? I assume the same as desired night time temps?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!

I have just gotten a new leopard hatchling and currently learning the ropes. I received a heating pad along with bulbs for my tortoise for an indoor enclosure. During the day, he/she has their light source for heat from above. At night, we have been utilizing the heat pad with lights above off. I have read opinions on heat pads and how they can be harmful and worried I might harm the little one. Regardless, they seem to like it and always burrows its way to the bottom if it is on at night, even if I readjust and fill the hole. Therefor, I am not sure if it is trying to do its thing and regulate itself and I am keeping it from that or just doesn't know better.

Basically, are heating pads (ones meant for reptiles, not human ones) okay for night warmth or should I get rid of it completely? At night temps get to mid-low 70s matching with the cool side even with the heating pad on.

Thanks in advance!
Heat pads should never be used under little tortoise in indoor enclosures. Thermostat do nothing to mitigate the danger. The problem is exactly what you've seen. In the wild heat comes from above. When they feel too warm they dig down into the cooler earth. On a heat pad, they just keep digging down and it just keeps getting hotter. Too hot sometimes. They don't have the powers of reason and logic that we have. They have instincts that tell them what to do when they feel too hot.

Get rid of the heat mat ASAP. Realize that most of the care advice you find for this species is wrong. Mid to low 70s is much too cool for this species at night. Here is the correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Questions are welcome.

kr1202

NC
Heat pads should never be used under little tortoise in indoor enclosures. Thermostat do nothing to mitigate the danger. The problem is exactly what you've seen. In the wild heat comes from above. When they feel too warm they dig down into the cooler earth. On a heat pad, they just keep digging down and it just keeps getting hotter. Too hot sometimes. They don't have the powers of reason and logic that we have. They have instincts that tell them what to do when they feel too hot.

Get rid of the heat mat ASAP. Realize that most of the care advice you find for this species is wrong. Mid to low 70s is much too cool for this species at night. Here is the correct care info: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

Questions are welcome.
Thank you for the advice! I see and hear so many different temperature requirements and I question everything I see! And thank you for the link, I will check it out!

kr1202

NC

Questions are welcome.
I have read some other posts, including some you have responded on. Would you suggest utilizing a CHE instead of the heat pad to maintain proper temperatures at night?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have read some other posts, including some you have responded on. Would you suggest utilizing a CHE instead of the heat pad to maintain proper temperatures at night?
I prefer radiant heat panels to CHEs, but CHEs can work too.

In any case, the heat pad should not be used. Its not safe or effective. This is something you need to handle ASAP. Letting your tortoise drop into the low 70s at night is likely to cause a respiratory infection, and the heat pad could burn him.

kr1202

NC
I prefer radiant heat panels to CHEs, but CHEs can work too.

In any case, the heat pad should not be used. Its not safe or effective. This is something you need to handle ASAP. Letting your tortoise drop into the low 70s at night is likely to cause a respiratory infection, and the heat pad could burn him.
ok, thank you! I have the pad off for tonight but unfortunately no way of keeping the temp up above low 70s so I will look into the heat panels and CHEs ASAP.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok, thank you! I have the pad off for tonight but unfortunately no way of keeping the temp up above low 70s so I will look into the heat panels and CHEs ASAP.
Put the enclosure in a bathroom and run a space heater with the bathroom door closed. Its THAT serious. Don't let the baby be too cold even one night.

kr1202

NC
Put the enclosure in a bathroom and run a space heater with the bathroom door closed. Its THAT serious. Don't let the baby be too cold even one night.
Unfortunately I do not own one... any other suggestions?

kr1202

NC
I feel as if at this point the reptile heat pad is my only option until I can get my hands on a CHE or panels

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unfortunately I do not own one... any other suggestions?
Got a Walmart that is open late near you? A space heater costs a lot less than treating a respiratory infection.

You need some way to generate heat and contain it where the tortoise is.

kr1202

NC
Got a Walmart that is open late near you? A space heater costs a lot less than treating a respiratory infection.

You need some way to generate heat and contain it where the tortoise is.
Luckily found a neighbor with one! Ill try my best to get this enclosure into the bathroom. Thanks for the quick responses Tom, I really appreciate it! Ill leave you with a final question: do you have any threads discussing how to set up CHEs or recommended CHEs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Luckily found a neighbor with one! Ill try my best to get this enclosure into the bathroom. Thanks for the quick responses Tom, I really appreciate it! Ill leave you with a final question: do you have any threads discussing how to set up CHEs or recommended CHEs?
I like the ZooMed CHEs, but I think any of them will work.

Here is a whole bunch of explanation on how to set up everything: