First Time Leopard Toroise Owner a Little Worried

Josh2269

Location (City and/or State)
NorthwestLouisiana
Thank you all for your help and knowledge. I'll keep a close eye on my little one and make sure he is healthy and growing steadily. I guess I'm just expecting a little more growth in a steady manner that is easily measurable in my time frame. But if that isn't the case with all tortoise babies, I will slow down on these questions in regards to this topic. Until next time when something unexpected happens... Thanks again!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Don't be afraid to ask questions, that is what we are here for.

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
Just for a quick update, one month later and it looks like my little one has gained 1 gram over an entire month. I'll keep going with everyone when they say they grow at their own rate but he is 12 weeks old today and weighs on average 35g. Just seems odd. Still eating and pooping everyday. Doesn't seem to be having any issues that are visible to me and he is active on and off throughout the day. It's crazy that some of these tortoises gain over 5-10g (above 10%-40% of original total weight) a month at this age and he is only 1g (3%) more.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm tellin' ya...weight gain and growth rates has a lot to do with how they are started. I've seen some/had some that were started "dry" and barely grew. I've seen some/had some started humid that just took off!
But don't worry about it. Ever read "Daisy's story"? She's one of Tom's 1st wet routine guinea pigs. I think it was 2+ years before her growth rate finally accelerated.

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
I'm tellin' ya...weight gain and growth rates has a lot to do with how they are started. I've seen some/had some that were started "dry" and barely grew. I've seen some/had some started humid that just took off!
But don't worry about it. Ever read "Daisy's story"? She's one of Tom's 1st wet routine guinea pigs. I think it was 2+ years before her growth rate finally accelerated.

I read that alot on here pertaining to how they are started. The breeder said they were kept humid at around 70% but it is only words from someone I don't know. This one is kept in 70+ usually 80+ at all times for humidity with all the suggested husbandry suggested on this forum.

Yeah I believe I have read that post from Tom. It's crazy how long it took for the acceleration given the prior circumstances. I think I've read a good majority of this forum before I got this little one. I wanted to be as ready as possible. I'm just keeping a close eye on him, don't want to mess this up, he is already becoming family in my home.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I read that alot on here pertaining to how they are started. The breeder said they were kept humid at around 70% but
Hey, if that's true then GREAT..there need to be MORE leopard breeders doing that.

I haven't read through all your info but from what I have seen, I think you're just fine ;) :tort:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree. If he is eating and active with normal bowel movements and no symptoms such as runny nose, or wheezing he is fine and will grow. All you can do is double check your temps and verify you're feeding a good diet. Keep an eye on his shell and eyes. The shell shouldn't get softer and the eyes should look bright. Pretty sure I told you before about my little guy. He is almost a year now and still 50 grams. My trio, at 8 months are 85 for the smallest and the largest is 125..

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
I agree. If he is eating and active with normal bowel movements and no symptoms such as runny nose, or wheezing he is fine and will grow. All you can do is double check your temps and verify you're feeding a good diet. Keep an eye on his shell and eyes. The shell shouldn't get softer and the eyes should look bright. Pretty sure I told you before about my little guy. He is almost a year now and still 50 grams. My trio, at 8 months are 85 for the smallest and the largest is 125..

Yeah you definitely mentioned it before. It's just concerning. I will likely just update the thread monthly and see what people say. I need reassurance here and there just to be sure. I have had many lizards, snakes, and aquatic turtles, but the growth of tortoises is much different from these other reptiles.

For more information on my tortoise, I'm trying to watch how much he is eating a little closer. He may be eating a little less than usual due to him becoming more picky. He loves the Mazuri and will usual eat 1/4 to 1/2 of a softened piece, but everything else he just picks at to include grasses, dandelion greens, spring mix, zoo med grassland tortoise food, and his succulents. On the other hand he is a lot more active than he was when I started the thread with big bright eyes. Seems to be doing fine overall.

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
Hello everyone, I figured I would give an update on my little guy. He's officially 20 weeks old and just hit 40 grams in one of his weighins. Still very small for his age but lively and growing still. He has never gotten any softer and is still very lively with regular bowel movements. Luckily it is almost warm enough for him to go outside on a daily basis and live out there during the day time. At this point I'm hoping for 60g to 80g for his one year or maybe he will surprise me and start growing like a weed. Who knows.

FujiBaird

By chance, have you ever had your tortoise screened for parasites? My young hermanns tortoise had a similar thing going on: eating like a champ, active, seemed healthy in every way... but she was not really growing much and she was definitely light and small for her size. I had never considered worms since she was young and captive bred, but a fecal exam at the vet showed that she actually had quite a lot of pinworms. :( Since the treatment, her weight has rebounded to a normal level for her SCL and she's getting obvious new growth around her scutes. The test was easy and inexpensive, and a regular vet was able to do it -- so it might be worth spending that $20-30 just to rule it out. :) Cute little guy!

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
I'm going to be bringing him to our exotic animals vet and see what they say for the worms wise. Hopefully everything is good, but your right I may as well rule out parasites. It's a shame because he eats so much and is very active.

On a different note, finishing up his outdoor enclosure in the next couple days so he can get some sunlight since its warming up now. Anyone have any good ideas for keeping fire ants out of the cage. It is going to be elevated off the ground and im thinking of putting the legs in a bin of water to prevent that problem.

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
Went to the vet and nothing was found to be wrong 2ish months ago. At this point he is showing new growth and weighs 46 grams. I think he may have finally started growing and it coincidentally started happening when it was warm enough to go outside in the direct sunlight.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I wasn't around when you first posted this thread, but its great that your little guy is starting to grow! My two were very small for a while too (partly due to mistakes I made) but now they are growing like crazy. Once they started their growth spurt, they went from weighing about 38 grams each to over 100 in 3 months.

Josh2269

NorthwestLouisiana
Officially just hit 58 grams today. His picture isn't even the same anymore and needs an update. He is eating twice as much as he was 1 month ago now and is very very active.