first time eating seed mix

mattramsfan76

IMG_0683.jpgIMG_0684.jpghere is lea today eating some mixed seeds i bought from Carolina pet supply. she absolutely loved it. this was also after she had eaten her spring mix and about half a mazuri pellet. A quick question though..... she seemed to be interested in eating the dirt too.... i stopped her every time she tried... is this normal? (for the record, this is a test pot to see if she would like it, not her outdoor play area)

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So cute. That second pic, face all in eating the goodies. My leopard once in a while will eat dirt. I think they do that because they may find something in it that their diet may be lacking. Also, sometimes just because of the way they are eating at the weeds. I'm sure in the wild they would eat lots of dirt. If you keep,him hydrated and soaked, I don't think there would be a problem. Mine has never had a problem. Now, I wouldn't let him eat it as if it was his meal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some tortoises seem more apt to eat soil, dirt and rocks than others. I have been able to reduce this tendency by using a product called "MinerAll". It is made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms. It is a mineral supplement, as opposed to the normal calcium carbonate only supplements. I would start with a small amount mixed in 3 times a week and then cut back to two times a week after a couple of weeks.

mattramsfan76

Tom said:
Some tortoises seem more apt to eat soil, dirt and rocks than others. I have been able to reduce this tendency by using a product called "MinerAll". It is made by a company called Sticky Tongue Farms. It is a mineral supplement, as opposed to the normal calcium carbonate only supplements. I would start with a small amount mixed in 3 times a week and then cut back to two times a week after a couple of weeks.
thanks tom. i have been using minerall with my bearded dragon for a very long time and love it. this is also what i give lea. i switch between the mineral and the repcal. and i do soak her once a day and every time i do she drinks so she is well hydrated. she seems to be curious about just about everything and bites at what ever is near her face.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Prior to this soil eating episode and the newly grow greens, was she mostly fed grocery store greens? I ask out of curiosity. I tend to see this most in tortoises that are fed primarily grocery store greens. Since you are already using MinerAll, I wonder what the diet has been like.

mattramsfan76

Tom said:
Prior to this soil eating episode and the newly grow greens, was she mostly fed grocery store greens? I ask out of curiosity. I tend to see this most in tortoises that are fed primarily grocery store greens. Since you are already using MinerAll, I wonder what the diet has been like.
yes! as of late i can only get her to eat spring mix. she won't even touch anything like mustard, collard, raddichio (or how ever u spell it).... she does like her dandelion greens however so i give her that.... and she loves arugula too. i just recently started an outdoor enclosure for her with seeds of different flowers she can eat. and this seed mix as well. hopefully i can get her off of spring mix.....

LABZOO

Tom said:

Haha I just fed my uromastyx sprouted seeds for the first time, quite funny. Was going to try with the tort next :)
ps- geophagy has been observed in many animal species, not to worry unless it has developed into a 'stereotypic' behaviour (like an uncontrolled obssession- such as wind sucking in horses). Ensure the soil/dirt has NO additives or fertilizers etc. Many theories surround the behaviour, probably not all mutually exclusive.

Have you ever supplemented with a clay soil ? I provide my parrots with a container of clay (montmorillonite clay) for them to pick at, at their discretion, once a month. You can also top dress their food. It is also a ca supplement.
Cheers