First post

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh no! I'm so very sorry! We know how devastating that loss can be, especially if people around us don't "get it". ?

Welcome to the forum...sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

CherryN

Honolulu
Oh no! I'm so very sorry! We know how devastating that loss can be, especially if people around us don't "get it". ?

Welcome to the forum...sorry it's under such sad circumstances.
Well, I thought that even though I don’t have a tortoise any longer I could be part of a group that gives great insight to the care of tortoises. If I decide to get another one sometime in the future, I will be better educated.

CherryN

Honolulu
Well, I thought that even though I don’t have a tortoise any longer I could be part of a group that gives great insight to the care of tortoises. If I decide to get another one sometime in the future, I will be better educated.
Also, thank you for your kindness Karen.

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
I'm sorry for your loss. We're happy to have you join us here at TF. Lots of very nice and knowledgeable tort parents here. Take care.
Bob

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry to hear about losing your tortoise. . . but WELCOME to the Forum!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My condolences on your loss. Stick around, we would be glad to have you here!

CherryN

Honolulu
I'm so sorry for your loss. Tell us what happened.
I bought a Cherryhead tortoise from a pet store 3 weeks ago. He wasn’t a great eater and that should have been my first red flag. The first day he drank a lot of water. I live in Hawaii where the temperature is in the mid 70’s and the humidity is in the mid 60’s. We went through a cold spell where temperature dropped to mid 60’s so I place a heat lamp on his enclosure. He did well outside during the day, but got weaker last week. Yesterday morning I found him in his water dish and didnt know how long he was in there. However, shortly after he climbed out and faded. He was tucked in his shell most of the day and didn’t moved when I gave him a little poke. So I picked him up but he didn’t stir and realized he had passed. There was white powdery substance on his underside. Respiratory failure? He was about 4 months old.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I bought a Cherryhead tortoise from a pet store 3 weeks ago. He wasn’t a great eater and that should have been my first red flag. The first day he drank a lot of water. I live in Hawaii where the temperature is in the mid 70’s and the humidity is in the mid 60’s. We went through a cold spell where temperature dropped to mid 60’s so I place a heat lamp on his enclosure. He did well outside during the day, but got weaker last week. Yesterday morning I found him in his water dish and didnt know how long he was in there. However, shortly after he climbed out and faded. He was tucked in his shell most of the day and didn’t moved when I gave him a little poke. So I picked him up but he didn’t stir and realized he had passed. There was white powdery substance on his underside. Respiratory failure? He was about 4 months old.
That's terrible. When you get past this & want to get another tort, come back to the Forum, and we will help you with your set-up. There's a list of breeders on this site who are members. Probably some of the worst cared-for animals come from pet stores who also give the worst advice on pet care. That's an unpleasant generalization, & I'm not saying it happened to you, but the tort probably didn't get the best startup from the breeder or it was wild caught.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Welcome. I’m sorry for your loss. You’ll find a lot of wonderful people here who are compassionate, caring and understanding. I hope you stay around to find out how amazing they are, and how much knowledge they have to share.