First Outdoor Enclosure

Ashley Baradell

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Mississippi
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My RF Tort finally has an outdoor enclosure! It is 36 sq. ft., has multiple hides, a "greenhouse", pools, a romaine garden (he can't reach of course), edible plants, etc. I live in south mississippi so weather is great for him. He is so happy, I could cry! There's always room for improvement, though! Any suggestions on making it even better? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dig all your dishes down into the ground. Because a tortoise's shell doesn't bend, its hard for them to go up and over then down into a bowl to eat or drink.

Looks like a pretty nice enclosure. I'm a little worried about the height of the walls, though. Can the tortoise reach the top of the wall if he stands up on his back legs?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Good looking enclosure. Your RF will stay out door at night too? Or you taking him inside? I'm worry about night predator.

Ashley Baradell

Southern Mississippi
He usually comes inside at night, but I have a 6 foot security fence around the yard his enclosure is in so he's safe during the day too. I made the greenhouse out of an old fish tank laying on its side. The sun shining through the glass sides/top onto the moist mulch inside makes it extremely humid inside. He likes to go in there and sleep sometimes.