First enclosure

stephifr

Location (City and/or State)
Athens GA
Well I got the enclosure set up. I'm hoping it will be big enough. I'm already planning on expanding their indoor enclosure for next year. It will be in the spare room (which we should have by next year) and I'm thinking I'm going to make a corner table for it. But that's future plans. Right now I wanted to show my first set up and get some opinions since I'm new at this. I want to make sure the little guys have everything they need.

I hope these will show up. Don't know if I did it right or not.

This first image is showing the basking area. The small block has the heat light and the longer block has the uvb light. Right now it's kind of close and I've got a thermometer on right now to see how hot it gets, but I can raise the lights if it gets to hot for the little guys. I've added a few plants that I made sure were edible if they decided to munch on them. The one that is over the humid hide is actually a cabbage plant of some sort or so my son was told. It was given to him last school year and I've had it sitting in a pot in the window and watering it since then. It's planted behind the hide because of the soil it's in, I don't want the little ones getting to it. I have the Christmas Cactus planted in the pot so they can't get to too much of the plant itself to overdo it. It also blocks them from getting into the other soil of the cabbage plant. You can't see inside the hide because of the way we have it sitting. In the hide I have the same substrate with a layer of the moss on it to help with the humidity. I don't have a gauge for that yet but I've got on ordered. I am a bit concerned about the cool side too. It's in my son's room and it stays cool in there. Right now we have the house set at 69. I'm thinking if need be about getting a heat element and hang it over the cool side just up higher so it still stays the cool side. Right now I'm just waiting to see how it measures tonight. I also have a temp gun ordered so I can more accurately tell what it is.
2013-12-17%2013.56.52.jpg

2013-12-17%2013.56.23.jpg

2013-12-17%2013.56.14.jpg

This one shows the water and the food dish. This is all I could find but don't like them. I don't know if the water dish is going to be too shallow or not. There's no water in it right now. I don't know if the smaller one will be too small either. I may just have to get a bigger water one and make the current water one the feeding one.

2013-12-17%2013.55.21.jpg

2013-12-17%2013.55.05.jpg

Anyway any help or advice would be awesome! Please don't judge to harsh, it's my first set up... :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks pretty nice. What kind of tortoise and how big are you getting?

stephifr

Athens GA
Yvonne G said:
It looks pretty nice. What kind of tortoise and how big are you getting?

Hi Yvonne! I got 2 baby sulcata's. They arrived today! Was so excited! Here's a picture of them from today.

2013-12-18%2011.40.23.jpg

2013-12-18%2012.05.10.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I cannot see the photo too. I also love to see how you build your enclosure. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also can't see the pics. However, be sure to read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising your young sulcatas.