Fir/Hemlock as a substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
SO i cant get cypress, orchid bark is super expensive and the pet store bags are just insane.... I need almost 200 Sq feet of substrate so my last option is to go with a topsoil/peat moss with a fir/hemlock top layer.
Can this be done? Is it harmful to adults?
Ive tried just peat and its way to dusty even with the top and a humidifier and soil does about the same then turn to mud when i pray it down.
Any info is Greatly appreciated.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I've run into a similar problem in Maine. I googled organic hemlock mulch and found a landscape supply store that carried it. I filled two 50-gallon trash cans with "valley hemlock", which has been aged 40-50 years and is like soil, and a 36-gallon plastic tote with fresh hemlock mulch. I paid $15 for all of it. I mixed them 50-50 and put them in the enclosure about 2 weeks ago, haven't seen any problems yet.

I'm going to make a post in the Enclosures forum if I continue to see no problems after a month has transpired. This could be a safe and affordable alternative to cypress.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I almost used hemlock barkdust as mentioned in one of my threads in the enclosure section. It was a true barkdust and just seemed a little too small of a grind for my tastes, on top of the uncertainty of the hemlock itself.

I just couldn't be the first to try it out. My family had recently lost a newer hatchling that just never thrived. It just never gained any weight, and eventually died. I mention this as to being super sensitive to the idea of possibly losing another tortoise because we used an unsafe substrate. Chris as mentioned above did say he was going to use it, and I look forward to hearing his observations.

I ended up using some bulk fir bark "nuggets" as the bottom layer and topping it off with orchid bark. The only real difference Ive seen between these 2 items is the Orchid bark just looks to be a better quality fir bark.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
i went with the larger nuggets and so far so good....no smell.... no additional color and $39 a yard....... WOW..... see how it fairs now

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Hustler said:
i went with the larger nuggets and so far so good....no smell.... no additional color and $39 a yard....... WOW..... see how it fairs now

Yea, the price can't be beat for some organic mulch from a landscape supplier. I'd bet things will be fine, but do let us know how those fir nuggets turn out for you (essentially cheaper orchid bark).

Status
Not open for further replies.