Finding rock like pieces????

Cdbond

Location (City and/or State)
winston salem
Does anyone know what these could be?? I find them in my Sulcata's tank.

Attachments

• 20230121_135339.jpg
    20230121_135339.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230121_133814.jpg
    20230121_133814.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230121_133829.jpg
    20230121_133829.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Its cuttle bone pieces. If they don't need the calcium, it just passes through harmlessly.
If they are passing thru, the pieces look fairly big, which would be a good size sulcata that would be too big to live in a tank.

Cdbond

winston salem
How big and old is your sulcata and what size is the tank
He is almost 2.5 yrs old. About 17.5 lbs and about 13" or so long. It is a homemade indoor winter tank 53.5 long, 26" tall, and 28" deep. Yes, likely too small but I have limited indoor space. I am trying to research how and when to move him outdoors permanently .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is almost 2.5 yrs old. About 17.5 lbs and about 13" or so long. It is a homemade indoor winter tank 53.5 long, 26" tall, and 28" deep. Yes, likely too small but I have limited indoor space. I am trying to research how and when to move him outdoors permanently .
He can stay outside 24/7 now but what will you have for him when it's too cold? The enclosure you are using is way too small and could damage his walking and growth. I rescued a leopard kept in too small enclosure. He was way under size for his age and couldn't walk properly. Luckily I rehabbed him and he finally caught up in size and now can walk normal.

Cdbond

winston salem
He can stay outside 24/7 now but what will you have for him when it's too cold? The enclosure you are using is way too small and could damage his walking and growth. I rescued a leopard kept in too small enclosure. He was way under size for his age and couldn't walk properly. Luckily I rehabbed him and he finally caught up in size and now can walk normal.
What is the lowest temperature that he can go out in?? I try to take him out any time I can but scare to not knowing what he can withstand. And once it warms up I leave him out for the day but bring him inside to sleep. Still researching to see what size he needs outside for the cold. I would love any advice as I want to do the best for him. We are looking for a new house with more land for him and garden space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would say our winter averages 30-50s and 6 inches of snow.
A 20 pound sulcata needs something around 50x50 feet. 53x28 inches is for a tiny baby.

This is a tropical species they need warm temps year round, With a 85 degree outdoor night box, they can tolerate some days in the 65-70 degree range, if its sunny and dry, but not snow.

You've chosen the wrong species to work with in your climate.

Cdbond

winston salem
A 20 pound sulcata needs something around 50x50 feet. 53x28 inches is for a tiny baby.

This is a tropical species they need warm temps year round, With a 85 degree outdoor night box, they can tolerate some days in the 65-70 degree range, if its sunny and dry, but not snow.

You've chosen the wrong species to work with in your climate.
When he is not in his indoor enclosure for protection he does have almost 1 acre fenced in for free roaming. He has multiple hides but I still need to build his outdoor box though.