Finding Adults

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sounds like you've got a plan . Make it happen. Have faith in yourself.

NathanMorrow6

Thank you for the kind words. If anyone is interested, I'll try to keep some posts of the process up including enclosure setup and all that.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Please do ! That way we can help along the way . Plus see you succeed.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Harlingen, TX
Don't underestimate a 16 year old. I say follow your dreams and make it happen. We all start somewhere. Please keep us updated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wish you the best of LUCK whatever you decide to do. :)

And please keep us updated.;)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
This sounds like a great endeavour! Good luck to you in college, your career and best of all, your animals!

dovelett15

10 Year Member!
Hello Nathan,

You are a very impressive and articulate young man. You have all the attributes to make your dreams come true.Press on! Wish you the best in all your endeavors!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Please read post #1, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/live-naked-people.126107/

The problem with many adults is looking back. That you are looking forward is good. Nobody wants to have animals in their care die, unless that is an intended purpose. I'd say no matter what you will loose some animals along the way based on poor judgement. If your personal morality can cope with that I'd say move forward and put your best forward looking into the move you seek to take. It sounds like your girlfriend is part of your plan. That, and that alone, is the only thing that raises doubts in my mind. If there is another person as well that will be 'into it' and supportive then that balances out the girlfriend.

I am involved with many things professionally and many others that are not a part of my day to day job. In virtually all these things, the advice of the big players is to have a group of people who be supportive. Some may not be supportive, but they don't constantly drop discouraging crap in your day, those folks are good too. If aside from the 'sky is falling Nellys' here you are personally in contact with someone telling you it's all going to end in ruin, know right now to cut those types out.

Being pragmatic is important. Being negative is destructive.

As a someone who at your current age had much support from 'turtle club' meetings (pre internet where arm chair snipers were not so readily interested in shooting down people's dreams) I did move forward along a very topsy turvy path. If, as many very successful people do, this is your path, then listen to the naysayers like Warren Buffett might listen to a young stock analyst. Hear what they say, but listen to why they are saying it.

Maybe in 20 years when my tortoise hating wife makes an ultimatum that I "get rid of all of them!" (she doesn't even use the word tortoise just 'them' ) I'll be able to cal you up and say "hey bring your truck".

NathanMorrow6

My girlfriend is slightly part of the plan, and I mentioned that she would help, but that is very much a toss up. As much as I want to involve her, she is less capable of thinking it all out. For her, it's I want to own some turtles, for me, it's a lot more than that. She really loves animals, but it's more of a general thing, and I don't know that she's interested in really doing it, she gave me a very inconclusive response. With that being said, I probably will do it mostly alone, which I'm okay with. But whatever happens is okay.

As far as support goes, nobody cares about it like I do, so it's sort of just a nod type thing. My parents know I love them, but they don't care to know the scientific names of all of them or have a large collection. Some people think it's cool, but nobody is like "tell me more", you know? As far as people who have a true interest as I do, the guys at the TurtleRoom have been great, and Chris Leone at Garden State Tortoise has been kind as well. I would say that more than anything, Steve Enders and Anthony Pierlioni have really given me a wealth of knowledge as far as how these projects work. They've given me ideas of approach, and explained the decisions I'll have to make.

I have looked around for turtle and tortoise people, but there's just not much. Being in Upstate NY, there isn't a lot in the way of reptile people. With that being said, I find that there is a lot of great people within the community, especially here on the forum.

Thank you for the insight. Once again, someone brought up something I hadn't thought about. I have some support, and I have no real doubters, just people who simply don't care. But I'm really interested in the animals, and I'm really interested in building an amazing breeding facility, and I have a lot of plans already. So in 20 years, if you need to get rid of "them", let me know. Hopefully by then I'll have a website and social media, so feel free to contact me on there. Thank you.

Nathan

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Some people think it's cool, but nobody is like "tell me more", you know?

A sense of humor is important in any endeavour. Good job.

I have few local friends that just sitting in a bar or burger joint, saying nothing at all, is supportive. That we talk about what we do makes it better.

This is the $$ part of my FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/KapidoloFarms/

This is the science conservation part https://www.facebook.com/kapidolo/

and my not so cryptic views of the world https://www.facebook.com/william.espenshade.7

Web pages are too much fooling around, maybe later I will rebuild that.