Finaly decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
delaware
Well it was a tough decision seeing that there are so many wonderfull types of tortoises out here. I have finaly decided on a red foot for a few reasons. one is that were i live is very humid (delaware) plus they have such great attitudes and personailtys. i will be getting him/her at the repticon show in baltimore this weekend. any advise or tips are always appreciated. i will post pics as soon as i can.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hey Matt. Good luck with your choice! From what I've heard Red Foots are great tortoises! :)

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Keep us updated. I don't post too often [school and work take up a lot of time] but I do drop in and read the threads. We would love to see pictures too:D

As far as tips, I would just say to read Marks page, especially his food guide. I actually have it typed up on my ITouch so when I am out I have it with me at the grocery store. I remember another board member said she printed it out. It has been the biggest help for me in taking the best care of Sheldon. Another tip is to find a veterinarian so when you get your tort you can start with the wellness check. Just to make sure he/she is well and has no parasites and what not. Aside from that, just lots of care research and of course any questions just ask here. I had so many questions and felt so stupid for posting some of them that seemed like silly questions but everybody here was fantastic and told me to ask away:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
So exciting, have fun getting your new Red Foot!

I'll echo Daisy Duke by saying look at the Tortoise Library information (http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/index.html). You can also find different feeding approaches here:
http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/feeding_redfoots.html

I lean toward the "two bowl" method that the Tortoise Library (Mark) advocates.

If there is one thing I would be most concerned about, it's having your enclosure set up before you purchase your tortoise. Getting the environmental conditions set up can take some experimentation. I thought I was good to go and did run into some humidity issues, so get it all rigged up and running for your new tortoise/torti and try to avoid this! I'd recommend sealing up your enclosure too, makes it easier to obtain proper humidity levels. Temperature and humidity are vital for good health, which is usually reflected by their normal behavior(s).

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Great choice! ...... " Welcome to your new addiction" ..... :p
I gotta admit out of the 27 or so torts I own .... my reds n cherrys ... are by far the most fun to interact with. You will be surprised at how keen their sense of smell is ! .......

Happy Red'n ~ "

JD~:)

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Red foots are awesome :D mines follows my finger everytime I stick it in his cage and it's like a training excercise :3 it's like my hand to him is a god...or he smells his food on my fingers :3 but if you get a baby one then I think it's going to sleep a lot

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
jfb2733 said:
Good choice..I have two myself...Where at in DE are you from?

I am from harrington. were did you get your redfoot from. are you going to the reptile show in baltimore this weekend

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice choice.
Pick an active one with no nasal discharge and clear bright eyes. If they have food there for them, pick one with a healthy appetite.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Awesome news! I live in Harford County, Maryland, so you'll probably be passing me on route 40 or I-95 when you go to repticon. I was thinking of going to repticon, but I ended up purchasing my redfoot from Tyler at tortoisesupply.com. I received a beautiful, healthy tort, and the price was one of the best I could find on the 'net and in my area ($135 shipped).

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Theyre' great! ! ! ! !
Tiago follows me around the garden when he's out and about,
They are beatiful and have great personalities!
Good luck you will not be dissapointed! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jfb2733

5 Year Member
Claymont, DE
I am from harrington. were did you get your redfoot from. are you going to the reptile show in baltimore this weekend
[/quote]

I got my first one from vicki at tortoiseyard.com. my second i got from jeff at redfootman.net... both arrived happy and healthy. and both are very nice people who made the tortoise buying process easy. both are very informative and helped with any questions i had.

wish i could make it to baltimore but have plans on saturday.. good thing i cant cause i know i would prolly come home with another one..lol

good luck and let me know how it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.