Finally I know about Boris, but

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
I finally 100 % ( I hope) now know that Boris is a Eastern Hermann’s tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri
Now my question is can I raise him with another Hermanns Tortoise even if its not a boettgeri?

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Simply put, yes.

Thank you very much, now my next delima is i think hope BORIS is a boy, if i get another
hatchling they might end up being the same sex and I read thats not a good thing?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Young Hermann's (regardless of subspecies) will get along just fine until they begin to reach sexual maturity which is for some males is as small as 3.5", more typically 4-4.5". At that point if you do have two males one will most likely take on the dominant role and may become very aggressive towards the other one. At that point they should be seperated or the submissive one will run the risk of being injured and/or bullied to the point where all it wants to do is hide. There is always the outside chance that the dominant male may also be injured if the other male chooses to stand his ground.
If the at the point of male maturity you end up with a male and female the male will likely, at seasonal times of the year pursue and court the female. This can also become very aggressive, especially if the female is not receptive. They may have to occasionally be seperated too but for the most part can usually be kept together in peace most of the year.
Two females will rarely cause problems with each other. Occasionally a female in a group will become dominant and begin acting more like a male than a female. This rarely develops into behavior that is aggressive enough to seperate them but still bears watching closely for signs of extreme aggression.

There is no sure way to get the gender you're looking for with hatchling and very young tortoises. Many breeders (myself being one of them) incubate their eggs in order to produce a majority of female or male offspring, depending upon the temperatures. I incubate all of my eggs of all species to produce predominately female offspring. You may want to find a reputable dealer in your area and ask at what temperatures they incubate their eggs and what ratio of female to male offspring they are producing. That is still not a guarantee that you are going to get the gender you want. But it will increase your chances.
The other alternative may be to wait a while longer until you can positively determine the gender of your tortoise and then at that time search for a tortoise of similar size, the gender that you want.

A note on keeping subspecies together: While any of the three subspecies of Hermann's can be kept together because of very similar environmental needs, most people feel that they should not be interbred. Of the three subspecies of Hermann's the Eastern race Testudo hermanni boettgeri is by far the most common. The Dalmatians T. h. hercegovinensis in purebred form is less common. Many in captivity have already been cross bred due to lack of subspecies recognition until recently. And the Western race T. h. hermanni is very rare in captivity, at least in the U.S. Many long time breeders and purist (again myself included) share a concern for keeping the subspecies as pure as possible since purebred wild caught animals are rarely available today. So while it is okay to keep the subspecies together, interbreeding them is usually frowned upon by Testudo keepers and breeders.

BELLAKINNS

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Young Hermann's (regardless of subspecies) will get along just fine until they begin to reach sexual maturity which is for some males is as small as 3.5", more typically 4-4.5". At that point if you do have two males one will most likely take on the dominant role and may become very aggressive towards the other one. At that point they should be seperated or the submissive one will run the risk of being injured and/or bullied to the point where all it wants to do is hide. There is always the outside chance that the dominant male may also be injured if the other male chooses to stand his ground.
If the at the point of male maturity you end up with a male and female the male will likely, at seasonal times of the year pursue and court the female. This can also become very aggressive, especially if the female is not receptive. They may have to occasionally be seperated too but for the most part can usually be kept together in peace most of the year.
Two females will rarely cause problems with each other. Occasionally a female in a group will become dominant and begin acting more like a male than a female. This rarely develops into behavior that is aggressive enough to seperate them but still bears watching closely for signs of extreme aggression.

There is no sure way to get the gender you're looking for with hatchling and very young tortoises. Many breeders (myself being one of them) incubate their eggs in order to produce a majority of female or male offspring, depending upon the temperatures. I incubate all of my eggs of all species to produce predominately female offspring. You may want to find a reputable dealer in your area and ask at what temperatures they incubate their eggs and what ratio of female to male offspring they are producing. That is still not a guarantee that you are going to get the gender you want. But it will increase your chances.
The other alternative may be to wait a while longer until you can positively determine the gender of your tortoise and then at that time search for a tortoise of similar size, the gender that you want.

A note on keeping subspecies together: While any of the three subspecies of Hermann's can be kept together because of very similar environmental needs, most people feel that they should not be interbred. Of the three subspecies of Hermann's the Eastern race Testudo hermanni boettgeri is by far the most common. The Dalmatians T. h. hercegovinensis in purebred form is less common. Many in captivity have already been cross bred due to lack of subspecies recognition until recently. And the Western race T. h. hermanni is very rare in captivity, at least in the U.S. Many long time breeders and purist (again myself included) share a concern for keeping the subspecies as pure as possible since purebred wild caught animals are rarely available today. So while it is okay to keep the subspecies together, interbreeding them is usually frowned upon by Testudo keepers and breeders.

Thank you very much I learned alot from this
it might be best to wait since I really dont want to breed I just didnt want him lonely, I do agree with your comments about keeping purebreeds pure
I am that way with my dogs I have breed.

Status
Not open for further replies.