FINALLY... I have Manouria emys emys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Here is what he said...

The room temperature varies (space heater on a timer). Overnight in cold weather this year dropped into the high 60s, with daytime highs jumping to near 90 on warmer days. So, daily shift as well as change associated with local weather (I keep the house thermostat pretty low normally in winter so outdoor temperatures affect house temps).

This seems to be a bit warmer than what I have had read is ideal. He is located in Houston, so not the coldest place on earth, lol.

They are REALLY cool Tom. I would totally go for it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
kyryah said:

I agree Tom. These guys are awesome, but not like other tortoises at all. Very unique and special. I just don't know how to describe them. Words simply fail me. Some use the term prehistoric with them and may be that is true, but they are just so much more.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Jacqui said:
kyryah said:

I agree Tom. These guys are awesome, but not like other tortoises at all. Very unique and special. I just don't know how to describe them. Words simply fail me. Some use the term prehistoric with them and may be that is true, but they are just so much more.

Now I feel like I need one...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kristina...Congrats! You are like the Energizer Bunny .....you just keep going and going. You are one luckly gal! They are beautiful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Millerlite said:
they are very fun tortoises to keep, just wait till they start really recognizing you and coming out of there shell. also they love sprinklers, turn those on for a few mins. and they will be walking around everywhere. lol

Yeah, but climates can vary so much in such a large area. Think coastal San Diego compared to Lancaster.

If I lived in SD I would already have a whole herd going. I live up here in the high desert and nearly everyday is near 100 from June to October and VERY VERY dry. Sometimes it reaches 120. I could manage them as juveniles, but I don't think they would do very well outside in summer as adults.

Keep posting pics for us Kristina. Looks like I'll still have to live vicariously...

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Very cool. How big are they? It is hard to tell in the picks.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Both Blacks and Browns can take temperature extremes - These guys are being bred in some of the hottest places in the country, and can take low, almost freezing temperatures.........They need moisture, and lots of it.......That's the only reason why they don't do well in dry climates.......

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Angi said:

About 4" SCL, they are about the size of the palm of my hand.

Tom said:
Keep posting pics for us Kristina. Looks like I'll still have to live vicariously...

Will do ;)

Unfortunately that beautiful, sunny, 70* patch of grass I was laying in the other day is under 2" of snow right now. The Russians and Redfoots are all kinds of mad at me, because they got to go out for a day and now are back inside. I think they are going to wear holes in their enclosure walls.

Ah, well. The Joys of Michigan Weather.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
toward tom: oh yeah, i live on the coast. we get moderate temps. 90s is hot for us, 70s-80s most the time. i have to run my sprinklers to keep them cool, cuz they hate the warmer weather, 70 or higher they hide, they love 60-70 range though.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The babies are doing well. They are SOOOOO cool!

I have read that they are more vocal than most tortoises, and I have to say this is true. I swear they "talk" to each other. their enclosure is in my bedroom, and very early in the morning when it is perfectly quiet, I hear little noises coming from their enclosure. It sounds almost like a cricket noise.

They love to climb and be up high, to the point of building little living pyramids with each other.

They are very brave. Most babies, if startled, pull into their shells and hide their faces in their legs. I startled one of these babies, and it raised up as high as it could on its spindly little legs, glared at me, and started bobbing its head up and down. Simply amazing.

Everything they do is very slow and deliberate, from walking to across the enclosure to taking a bite or dipping down for a drink.

These are very, very neat tortoises.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
yeah i gave some strawberry's to mine today, they were in heaven. Also in my enclosure i put a few dirt mounds for them to walk up and down. They love climbing it, one likes to hide at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.