Few Questions about getting things setup

Zanaba

Location (City and/or State)
Mobile, AL
So, to begin with, I am looking at getting an Eastern Box Turtle or a Ornate Box Turtle. Currently looking at getting a hatchling off of backwater since none of the pet stores local to me have any. For the outside enclosure, I am looking at doing a 6ft wide, 13ft long untreated wood wall about a foot and half high. Inside, once I remove the grass in the area, looking at doing about 6in of soil which I am going to use the organic top soil that I've seen others recommend on here. Then plant some of the turtle friendly flowers and plants

I want to add a water feature in the enclosure for the he could soak in. Is there a certain depth that would be ideal for an adult? Right now, since when I get him he will be a hatchling, I am looking at using like a painters tray until he gets bigger. Seems that would be easier for him to get in and out of until he grows. Also, would it be any kind of issue to have crickets and earthworms loose inside of there? Was thinking it would give him something to hunt. He will only be outside maybe 2-3 hours a day and the enclosure will have a top on it to protect from predators.

Also, I don't know if this breaks any rules on the forum or not apologies if it does, if anyone has used backwater what was your experience? I've read some mixed reviews online, some great and some bad.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
So, to begin with, I am looking at getting an Eastern Box Turtle or a Ornate Box Turtle. Currently looking at getting a hatchling off of backwater since none of the pet stores local to me have any. For the outside enclosure, I am looking at doing a 6ft wide, 13ft long untreated wood wall about a foot and half high. Inside, once I remove the grass in the area, looking at doing about 6in of soil which I am going to use the organic top soil that I've seen others recommend on here. Then plant some of the turtle friendly flowers and plants

I want to add a water feature in the enclosure for the he could soak in. Is there a certain depth that would be ideal for an adult? Right now, since when I get him he will be a hatchling, I am looking at using like a painters tray until he gets bigger. Seems that would be easier for him to get in and out of until he grows. Also, would it be any kind of issue to have crickets and earthworms loose inside of there? Was thinking it would give him something to hunt. He will only be outside maybe 2-3 hours a day and the enclosure will have a top on it to protect from predators.

Also, I don't know if this breaks any rules on the forum or not apologies if it does, if anyone has used backwater what was your experience? I've read some mixed reviews online, some great and some bad.
I wouldn’t buy from backwater reptiles, if you want a healthy animal then they are probably some great breeders on the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, @Zanaba and welcome!

Box turtles are pretty water friendly. I've seen mine sit in the water all day on real hot days. And it doesn't matter how deep it is as long as the sides are sloped enough that they can walk out easily. Here's one of my box turtle waterers:

This is what it looked like when I first made it three years ago. The center is deep enough that it covers the top of their shell:
box turtle waterer 9-7-15 b.jpg

And this is what it looks like now:
box turtle waterer a.jpg

My favorite little three toe box turtle. His shell is actually black. I've never seen one this color, so he's a keeper:
box turtle waterer b.jpg

I just sweep the water out with a kitchen broom weekly, and I have a garden hose dedicated to it that's on a drip, so it stays full. If I were a plumber, I'd do a permanent water arrangement, but the hose works ok for me.

Zanaba

Mobile, AL
Yeah that looks awesome! I was looking at getting one of those preformed plastic tubs that some people use for Koi ponds but on a much smaller scale. Was worried about it possibly being too deep. That is really a cool color too, I've ready they are pretty smart too. That they could learn the owners voice and appearance.

Ben, thanks I guess I must have overlooked that area of the forum. I will make a post on there, I'm still not ready to buy just yet. Want to make sure I have both the outside and inside areas completed and ready to go.

turtle_2k

USA, Indiana

I like your set up and I'm planning on. Moving so I can have more of an out side setup like yours. I was wondering where are you?

Zanaba

Mobile, AL
I like your set up and I'm planning on. Moving so I can have more of an out side setup like yours. I was wondering where are you?
I am outside of Mobile, AL. I would say my backyard is kind of big but at least 70% of it floods when it rains heavy so I have to put it on the top part closer to the house. I'll post some pictures of it once I get it all set up