fertilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
We just got a 1 year old sully. I'll post pictures as soon as I figure this thing out!she's definitely loving this weather and is getting plenty of sun.now my question is, I'd like to take it to my parents house where there is plenty of yard for her to run around (the place my wife and I are in temporarily hardly has a yard but a little somethin). But my parents have chemlawn come about once a month and treat their yard. Not exactly sure what they use but definitely don't want to put my tort in a yard full of fertilizer. Any advice would be great!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
My advise is Chemlawn (or any such service) and tortoises should not mix. While the chemicals may say something about being safe for pets after so many hours, they are not talking tortoises which eat those chemicals on the grass and take time to pass things through their systems. Also the smaller the tortoise's body size and mass, the more harm (including death) that may be done.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Is there any fertilizer that is safe? Probably not but I have the same issue my parents fertilize :(

Jd3

5 Year Member
Plants that are fertilized are totally safe to eat if it came from root Zone. Residual fertilizers on the edible surfaces are the problems.

I don't care what anyone says. Plants convert the fertilizers to the nutrients they use or they stay behind. Even certified organics use pesticides.

I worked in the fertilizer business and have seen tissue tests to confirm.

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
Plants that are fertilized are totally safe to eat if it came from root Zone. Residual fertilizers on the edible surfaces are the problems.

I don't care what anyone says. Plants convert the fertilizers to the nutrients they use or they stay behind. Even certified organics use pesticides.

So im wondering, should I just avoid that yard altogether? Or could I wait a certain amount of days to let it loose in their yard?

Jd3

5 Year Member
I would avoid a yard treated with a surface spray.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too don't care what anyone says; pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers all are not a healthy desirable addition to any food meant for consumption, by humans nor tortoise.....

These items are simply in the market for lazy people who lack back bone and are into instant visual satisfaction....oh, in my humble opinion that is :D

Jd3

5 Year Member
Sadly many will buy organic assuming it magically doesn't contain those things:

Google organic permitted chemicals

Ouch.

If all you're doing is fertilizing soils and washing well then it is completely safe and often a healthier plant.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
This is a good topic. I use free coffee grounds from my local coffeehouse and water them in very well. My St Augustine is green and my soil is amended as they break down and I get to keep the grounds out of the dump. Win-win-win. I wait a week or two before letting my tortoises graze there (they have their own habitat area). BUT ...

If someone uses fertilizers, how many days or weeks to wait until it is safe? Are there any evidenced based safety studies out there?

carolinaboy165

5 Year Member
Re: RE: fertilizer

Jd3 said:
Sadly many will buy organic assuming it magically doesn't contain those things:

Google organic permitted chemicals

Ouch.

If all you're doing is fertilizing soils and washing well then it is completely safe and often a healthier plant.

So if the yard gets fertilized, which I think it's been over a month now, then it storms, which is what it's been doing here for the past 12 hours...what would you say to that?

Jd3

5 Year Member
If it is a broad spectrum fertilizer with no pesticides or the like, and thè fertilizer isn't visible in the surface, I honestly think it is fine. Fertilizer provides NPk and micros in simple compounds.

The proof is everywhere. If you've fed grocery store greens, mazuri, or grassland they are all products that are fertilzed(and likely use pesticide) during production. Commercial growers do not grow crops like soybeans and such without LOADS of fertilizer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jd3 said:

Very well worded. I agree with, and appreciate, EVERYTHING you've said in this ENTIRE thread! Thank you.

To the OP: I don't know which chemicals are being used there, but I would not put my tortoise in that yard. Big kiddie pools are $15 at Walmart. Make sure to offer lots of shade. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.