• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Ferrets swimming?

Rex1718

Location (City and/or State)
SC
Anybody let their ferrets swim in a pool with pool chemicals. My ferrets enjoy swimming in the bath tub. Just figured they would enjoy a dip in the pool.
Didn’t know if pool chemicals would aggravate them.

ascott

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
Anybody let their ferrets swim in a pool with pool chemicals. My ferrets enjoy swimming in the bath tub. Just figured they would enjoy a dip in the pool.
I would bet that they would be just fine, just like we would...as long as you are there to offer them a break as they likely can not exit easily.....I am guessing you are using the word chemicals meaning the regular human pool set up right? :)

ascott

5 Year Member
Apple Valley, California
I also would take care in assuring that they can not escape into the yard and become lost....as they are very quick and curious....while I think they would do fine in the pool, I believe I would limit them to the tub or a kiddie pool on and enclosed porch where escape is not an option....just my two cents.

Rex1718

SC
I would bet that they would be just fine, just like we would...as long as you are there to offer them a break as they likely can not exit easily.....I am guessing you are using the word chemicals meaning the regular human pool set up right? :)
Yeah just regular pool chemicals. I would be in the pool with them.
Thanks for the reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best to use a salt water pool with greatly reduced chlorine levels. If its a regular pool, pick days where chlorine levels are low. I used to let my 7' water monitor swim in the pool a day or two before the pool man was coming. There was almost no chlorine by then. Chlorine levels will be highest in the day or two after you add it.

I swim dogs in regular pools and the normal stuff doesn't bother them, so I think it would be fine for a ferret too.

Rex1718

SC
Best to use a salt water pool with greatly reduced chlorine levels. If its a regular pool, pick days where chlorine levels are low. I used to let my 7' water monitor swim in the pool a day or two before the pool man was coming. There was almost no chlorine by then. Chlorine levels will be highest in the day or two after you add it.

I swim dogs in regular pools and the normal stuff doesn't bother them, so I think it would be fine for a ferret too.
How is it having a large monitor, I love monitors. Just never got the nerve to get one.

EllieMay

East Texas
IMG_3863.jpg
This is George.. he’s very active and does lots of things with me. He loves to play in the shower but I had never invited him into the pool or tub until I saw this thread.. it was a little overwhelming for him at first and he stayed on my shoulder. He finally decided to take the plunge and swims very well. This is a saltwater pool. I was not concerned about him getting in the water for little fun.

EllieMay

East Texas
Ferrets are fun! Just wish they weren't so stinky lol
That’s a two part deal.. their natural musk and their poop.
For the musk, I spray mine with a spritzer daily and change their bedding and hammocks out weekly.
I use a water additive that helps with the muskiness as well.
For the poop... scoop n flush. They are habitual creatures and poop as soon as they wake up. So every morning and every afternoon I scoop the poop & pee and then they get play time out.. these are second generation ferrets and they are almost smell free. It took 9-1/2 years of the first generation for me to figure it all out:)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
My aunt my have first generation or 1/2 generation coz every time i leave her house after playing w the ferrets i can smell them for hours lol

Rex1718

SC
My sister used to have a couple at home, here backyard has been occupied by a big ferret nation cage. I am not a fan of this animal but I find them cute.
My wife isn’t a fan at all lol. Males smell more than females. My ferrets have a large cage in their own room. We let them out a few hours each day. I love them, but they are the last pair I will get. They are a lot of work, and most vacations I end up taking them with me because it’s hard finding someone to watch them