Ferns?

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Are ferns okay for any tort I am going to get a hermanns soon and in the enclosure area there are some ferns

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
It depends on the fern. Do you have any idea what the particular ferns are? Some non-toxic ferns that I've read are: boston, asparagus, bird's nest, maidenhair, cinnamon.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
All true ferns should be considered dangerous; most contain a group of compounds called glycosides that are toxic, especially when eaten regularly. These compounds are the reason that when cooking fiddleheads one changes the boiling water twice to leach out the toxins.
Asparagus "ferns", are not true ferns, but a relative of the edible asparagus, however, they have high levels of another slow poison and should not be a regular part of the diet of any animal.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay...
I know ferns can be considered poisonous and everything, but I think they are a great plant to have in the enclosure (depending on the variety) and I've seen many pictures and posted about ferns being kept in the enclosure... and it doesn't seem to be the type of plant torts WANT to eat... Just me :)