Female Sulcata in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just came across this and thought I would pass it along. Poor girl. I will never understand why people get rid of pets when they have a baby. I understand that occasionally its necessary but its still sad. If I had the room I would get her.

[email protected]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Link is not working. I could take another female or two.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tom said:
Link is not working. I could take another female or two.

If we can get some more info, I will be glad to help out, Tom.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Yup. "Having a baby" is the lamest excuse ever for getting rid of a pet. Unless it's a dangerous animal of some sort... like a giant anaconda... that I can understand. But a tortoise? Puh-lease! Where's the commitment?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't get it, I really don't. When I was pregnant for my youngest daughter, I already had a 2 year old, I had kicked my husband out (loser drunk/cheater, that is another story) AND I had toxemia, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes and was having reoccurring transient ischemic attacks. I cared for ALL of my animals through the whole thing.

At 7 months pregnant, on TOP of all these other things happening, I was diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer. When Kate was 3 months old I went through surgery and a single round of chemo. There were days I was so sick I had to almost crawl around the house, but I STILL took care of my kids AND my pets, all by my stinking self.

God forbid one of these people ever had to be a single mother, they might get rid of one of their kids....

B K

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
Yup. "Having a baby" is the lamest excuse ever for getting rid of a pet. Unless it's a dangerous animal of some sort... like a giant anaconda... that I can understand. But a tortoise? Puh-lease! Where's the commitment?

That’s not nice no one knows her situation and I think having a baby is a huge commitment .

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
B K said:
shellysmom said:

That’s not nice no one knows her situation and I think having a baby is a huge commitment .

So is owning a pet, but it's easier to dump the pet on somebody else to make life easier.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Yes thats the link! No idea why it didnt work when I posted?

They said the reason they need to rehome is they need more room. So basically, sulcata area = new baby nursery?

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
[/quote]
[/quote]

I'm not talking about the specific person in the ad, per say, I'm just talking about how, at any given time, one can go on Craig's List and see that every day, people are giving away their dogs or cats or turtles or ferrets because "they are having a baby." It's just sad, is it not, that animals are treated as members of the family when it's convenient, but as soon as a little effort is involved they get kicked out of the family, passed on to some other random person. In my opinion, that is no way to treat a living creature. Although, I'm perfectly aware that most people don't really care, and are happy to treat animals as expendable goods. Having a baby IS a huge commitment, but if someone can't handle taking care of a dog and a baby, then what's going to happen when baby #2 comes along? It's a lame excuse.

B K

5 Year Member
[/quote]

I'm not talking about the specific person in the ad, per say, I'm just talking about how, at any given time, one can go on Craig's List and see that every day, people are giving away their dogs or cats or turtles or ferrets because "they are having a baby." It's just sad, is it not, that animals are treated as members of the family when it's convenient, but as soon as a little effort is involved they get kicked out of the family, passed on to some other random person. In my opinion, that is no way to treat a living creature. Although, I'm perfectly aware that most people don't really care, and are happy to treat animals as expendable goods. Having a baby IS a huge commitment, but if someone can't handle taking care of a dog and a baby, then what's going to happen when baby #2 comes along? It's a lame excuse.

[/quote]
It’s not for me to judge.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I just got back from looking at the tortoise. She is a she and about 15" at least. Her shell is not bad and she does not look like a rescue.

The sellers are nice people and have had reptiles for most of their lifes. They have only had this tortoise since last April. The issue is not the tortoise herself, but the fact that they have not figured out the housing issue. During the winter she is in the basement, on the floor in a pen. They have tried many different beddings, but they are all too dusty and with the open pen setup, they feel it is not the best environment for the baby. They are not looking to sell their other reptiles or dogs.

If anyone is interested and need some help because they are not local, let me know.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I hope she finds a good home! I would love to go get her but I have nowhere for a sully that big at the moment.

sonyzoo

5 Year Member
Nice looking sulcata. I would take her if she wasn't so far away

DaveTheDadHaileeTheDaughter

5 Year Member
Ohio
Did they say what they wanted for her? I spoke with them back in October I think, they had a male and the female they wanted to get rid of and at that time they wanted $800 for her. Just curious.

reptileking18

5 Year Member
is it still for sale? and will they ship it?

herpgirl24 said:
Just came across this and thought I would pass it along. Poor girl. I will never understand why people get rid of pets when they have a baby. I understand that occasionally its necessary but its still sad. If I had the room I would get her.

[email protected]

i want to adopt it so bad! i currently have a russian but i want to get something bigger. i would have no problem housing her. the only problem is i live in akron, oh. if you could help me out that would be awesome!

kbaker said:
I just got back from looking at the tortoise. She is a she and about 15" at least. Her shell is not bad and she does not look like a rescue.

The sellers are nice people and have had reptiles for most of their lifes. They have only had this tortoise since last April. The issue is not the tortoise herself, but the fact that they have not figured out the housing issue. During the winter she is in the basement, on the floor in a pen. They have tried many different beddings, but they are all too dusty and with the open pen setup, they feel it is not the best environment for the baby. They are not looking to sell their other reptiles or dogs.

If anyone is interested and need some help because they are not local, let me know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi reptileking18:

This was a re-posted ad from another site. The tortoise doesn't belong to any of our members. If you are interested in adopting it, you have to contact the person who wrote the original ad.

Please take a moment to go to the "introductions" section and give us some info about yourself.

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.