Feeding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeside, California
Good Morning.
My babies were born beginning of November, I don't have access to grass or weeds at this point that I know for sure has not been sprayed. We just bulldozed the entire property so it just dirt. Here are my ?
1. They have been eating romaine lettus, some hibiscus flower. They won't eat anything else I put in their dish. Is this okay? I put the nutrients on it once a week.

2. They were offered a snap pea at a birthday party, yes next Bday party there will be no access to them ugh. But they loved it. Munched it up and wanted more. Is this a bad thing or can they have them?

3. Was making a temporary day shelter outside and wanted to put some grass in it? Home Depot grass? Or block of an area and grow from scratch?

4. And last, are their any bad weeds? I don't know what weeds are starting to sprout out of the dozed soil but could some be bad and will the babies know?

Sorry for the laundry list I have been saving the questions so not to swamp you all in posts.
Thanks and update both Penny and Taz have grown an inch in length here are two pics first one we took the first week second yesterday

Here is the second pic sorry don't know how to attach 2 at a time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
You need to use tough love and get them to start eating other types of darks leafy store bought greens, when they get hungry enough they will eat. And in my research I seen that snap peas are not on the "foods they can eat" list.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Thanks cemmons12. I will try the tuff love should I just not add any romaine to the mix at all? What do you feed Cooper I know he is a big healthy guy. Hope he is feeling better ;-)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
L82lalaland said:
Thanks cemmons12. I will try the tuff love should I just not add any romaine to the mix at all? What do you feed Cooper I know he is a big healthy guy. Hope he is feeling better ;-)

Cooper get green leaf lettuce, red leaf lettuce, spring mix, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, some romain, and any other dark leafy green that I can find in Indiana that's on the good food list. I would still offer romain, just not as much as the other greens. Also I feed Cooper and Ophelia Mazuri. Hope this helps some. :)

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
its best to start the grass from scratch. the sod has plastic backing and is sprayed with pesticides and chemical fertilizers. You can also crate plugs if you have grass that has not been fertilized elsewhere on your property.

there are some bad weeds, some can be toxic. If you are not sure of a weed you can post a picture of it in the plant identification section of "tortoise diet and food"

aslo here is a link to a thread that has a lot of pictures of common plants and weeds you can check out if you have not already.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14564.html

Status
Not open for further replies.