feeding turkish ibera in Cyprus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirsten

5 Year Member
hello,

I have a new turkish ibera, and i live in cyprus, so i don't have all the "usual" greens that are discussed as food, shall i just pop "him" in my garden, as it's full of nothing BUT weeds, but non are what are found in temperate climate, but i think at least what's in my garden is going to be close to natural wild food.

i can get bags of mixed salads in the supermarket, what leaves are best to look out for?

I know the previous owner/breeder was feeding lettuce!!!

things like dandelion are going to be very difficult for me to get hold of, let alone grow in the semi-arid environment.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Have you placed him in your garden to see if he is interested in what you have? I would imagine that he would find some goodies that will satisfy him.....but make sure the area is a secure area where he won't wander off and get lost....:D

Grape leaves are a great food source...also, if you supplement the garden grazing then a store bought multi variety dark leaf salad/spring mix would be good as part of a diet....

However, if your tort can free graze in a secure part of the yard then that is the absolutely best food source...all lettuce is not bad, red leaf, green leaf, romaine and a variety of other dark leafy greens is good....

Also a constant water source is good...like a shallow soaking dish that the tort can easily get in and out of...

http://www.chelonia.org/articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Turkeyhabitats.htm

Just some fun links

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hello, Kirsten. Because you live in Cyprus, there should be lots of edible weeds for your Greek tortoise, even if he's from another part of the Mediterranean Basin. All Testudo species rely on forbs (leafy greens and weeds) for the bulk of their diet, and since you live within the Mediterranean, there are probably plenty of palatable plants in your yard for an Ibera Greek.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Hi Kirsten! Just so you know, a helpful place to go to, besides this wonderful forum (read, read, read), is thetortoisetable.org ...
Don't forget to share pictures of your little one with us. Everyone loves pictures. Lots. : )

Correction: thetortoisetable.org.uk

redbeef

5 Year Member
It's pretty much a Mediterranean style climate here in semi arid Southern California and there is a lot of natural growing stuff for Greek tortoises to eat. Moreover, backyard irrigation makes the bounty pretty much year round instead of just a winter spring thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.