Feeding!! Roses and cucumbers

Yoyotort

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
So I have been giving Koopa Cucumbers and I’m pretty sure that is alright but I just like to double check. I also saw somewhere that roses are ok for them to eat and I was curious about that so that’s all he is a Russian btw so let me know about these foods thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cucumber is not toxic, but it doesn't meet their nutritional needs. Filling their stomach with cucumber means you are not filling their stomach with the correct foods.

Roses and rose leaves are good tortoise food as long as there are no chemicals in the soil they are grown in. Most all roses are grown with toxic chemicals. If you grow them yourself and you are sure there are no toxins present, then let him have at it.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Cucumber is technically a fruit, not a vegetable (weird!) so it’s not something you want to feed often. It can be useful if tortoise is dehydrated or constipated, as it’s high in water.

I’ll give mine the very top of one now and again if I’m slicing it, that’s about it.

If you can get your tortoise to eat rose leaves that’s great! It took mine a few years to do it. The flowers are fine too, so long as they are unsprayed. Since flowers are also somewhat high in sugar, you don’t want them to be the primary diet.

Yoyotort

Oregon
Cucumber is technically a fruit, not a vegetable (weird!) so it’s not something you want to feed often. It can be useful if tortoise is dehydrated or constipated, as it’s high in water.

I’ll give mine the very top of one now and again if I’m slicing it, that’s about it.

If you can get your tortoise to eat rose leaves that’s great! It took mine a few years to do it. The flowers are fine too, so long as they are unsprayed. Since flowers are also somewhat high in sugar, you don’t want them to be the primary diet.

Yes in general I just give him a little bit as a treat once in a while and he loves it but not to much or to often:)

Yoyotort

Oregon
Cucumber is not toxic, but it doesn't meet their nutritional needs. Filling their stomach with cucumber means you are not filling their stomach with the correct foods.

Roses and rose leaves are good tortoise food as long as there are no chemicals in the soil they are grown in. Most all roses are grown with toxic chemicals. If you grow them yourself and you are sure there are no toxins present, then let him have at it.

Thank you! I only give him a little for a treat sometimes good to know it’s ok for him. Yes we grow are own roses with absolutely no chemicals it’s good to know he can have those!!