Feeding Box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
This is probably a dumb question, but something I worry about. I know that a diet with veriety is important. I give trudi a veriety of fruits and veggies. She is not crazy about them and prefers meat. Most of her meat is red wigglers. Is that okay or does she need a veriety of bugs to get enough nutrition?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Actually i never thought of this. mine eats NightCrawlers, earthworms, and mealworms, not gut loaded. I think as long as she is getting protein I don't think variety is key.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
You feed them food that is good for the animals it is done with crickets a lot. Harder to do with NC and EW since they eat decomposing stuff, but it is done with mealworms also.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix for my boxies. Chopped veggies..chopped greens...chopped fruit, all mixed with soaked mazuri, and a sprinkle of calcium on top. They eat this every other day, and twice a week worms, butter worms, crickets, and any other buggies things I find..slugs, snails..

melbeebe1980

5 Year Member
Michigan
I feed my box turtle a variety of fruits (blueberries strawberries are her fav.) and veggies. I also feed her nightcrawler. I have recently started feeding her medium sized feeder fish on the recommendation of the vet.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
She is a picky eater. I am going to have to try some Mazuri. She does like worms and bugs, but not so much the fruits and veggies. She also eats very slow. She will watch a worm for a long time before eating it. It is really strange. I just don't get the feeling she is happy. It makes me feel bad. : (

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
She doesn't eat tomatoes or mushrooms. I still give her some every time we eat them. Her enclosure is outside, so she could be hunting in there.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
My 3 toed loves mazuri get's it twice a week moistened.

cordell

5 Year Member
melbeebe1980 said:
I feed my box turtle a variety of fruits (blueberries strawberries are her fav.) and veggies. I also feed her nightcrawler. I have recently started feeding her medium sized feeder fish on the recommendation of the vet.

when feeding the feeder fish, how do you do it, cut them up, or just put them whole in the pond/water hole?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.