Feeding before brumation?

Netflix

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm first time brumating my eastern painted turtle. Is it like with tortoises that they should not eat before brumation?
Its currently days in the 59-60f range nights drop to 55 f.

I fed him last time a week ago but hes stil begging for food even though its 59 f is this normal? Should I give him food?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i'd assume he lives outdoors ? in a pond ? how many hours of sun per day does he have access to ? the outdoor turtles here eat until the don't ........ the eastern box turtles seem to have stopped last week , the wood turtles seem to have stopped last week also , the blandings ate 2 days ago .......

Last edited:

Netflix

Michigan
i'd assume he lives outdoors ? in a pond ? how many hours of sun per day does he have access to ? the outdoor turtles here eat until the don't ........ the eastern box turtles seem to have stopped last week , the wood turtles seem to have stopped last week also , the blandings ate 2 days ago .......
Yes outside. Sun almost all day. So if hes begging I can give him some? Will he eventually stop when hes cold enough?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
painted turtles are extremely cold tolerant , if he has access to the sun , he can warm up enough to digest food ..... i've seen blanding's and wood turtles eat in 60 degree water ..... not sure about your weather , i'm in northeast ohio , about as north as you can get in ohio , i'm pretty sure i'll make food available to them again this year , whether they eat it or not i don't know , i doubt most of them will eat again , maybe none will , i'm really don't pay attention to who eats and doesn't unless i'm actually hand feeding them something , some of the timid ones i hardly ever see them eat ........ when i hand feed a turtle that has stopped eating , sometimes they're still interested , they'll take the food then spit it out , along with a mucus like substance like it gagged them , wiping their mouths with their legs ...... if your turtle has been kept outside , i doubt he will eat past a time where he will not have the opportunity to digest what he eats ..... a half dozen 60-70 degree sunny days i'd guess are enough to get rid of anything he's eaten ........ if he feels heavy and your weather is turning soon i'm sure he'd be ok not eating .....

Netflix

Michigan
painted turtles are extremely cold tolerant , if he has access to the sun , he can warm up enough to digest food ..... i've seen blanding's and wood turtles eat in 60 degree water ..... not sure about your weather , i'm in northeast ohio , about as north as you can get in ohio , i'm pretty sure i'll make food available to them again this year , whether they eat it or not i don't know , i doubt most of them will eat again , maybe none will , i'm really don't pay attention to who eats and doesn't unless i'm actually hand feeding them something , some of the timid ones i hardly ever see them eat ........ when i hand feed a turtle that has stopped eating , sometimes they're still interested , they'll take the food then spit it out , along with a mucus like substance like it gagged them , wiping their mouths with their legs ...... if your turtle has been kept outside , i doubt he will eat past a time where he will not have the opportunity to digest what he eats ..... a half dozen 60-70 degree sunny days i'd guess are enough to get rid of anything he's eaten ........ if he feels heavy and your weather is turning soon i'm sure he'd be ok not eating .....
Thank you thank you
I will throw some dried shrimp in and see if he is intrested.