feeding 16 month olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintybum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, UK
So i have 2 new additions, Echo and Deliliah, so far they have been fed every day but i'm wondering if its time to cut them down to 3 days yet?
what age do you cut them down? they are 16 month old.
:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Cutting back is a way to limit the rich diet they often get in captivity. Wild tortoises graze almost constantly, but on very low-quality, nutrient-rich foods. Too 'rich' of a diet in proteins, carbs, sugars, and fats can lead to poor development and obesity, especially if there is not a lot of exercise space.

We can simulate the low-nutrient diet in captivity by offering things like edible leaves and flowers, 'weeds', hay, mushrooms and fungi daily. Spring mix lettuces and the various brassicas (turnip and collard greens, kale, cabbage, broccoli, etc.) can work as well, but really need an occasional boost in calcium and fiber (I add a sprinkle of ground-up rabbit hay cubes- the Timothy hay versions rather than the alfalfa versions).

Even the dread Iceberg or Romaine lettuces can be used here as filler between days with better nutritional options or as a snack for a still hungry tort.

However, it is very common for many authors to recommend fasting days. While there is no one master plan, a typical recommendation would be to skip a day the first year, a couple days at 2 to 4 years or so, and so on. Some plans 'max out' at two feedings a week, others at 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.