Feedback, Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
Hi Everyone,
These last couple weeks have been really busy, both for me personally and for this site. We're growing faster than ever and we're even the #1 result for a "Tortoise Forum" search on Google!
I'd really appreciate your guys' thoughts about the site. Constructive criticism is welcome!
Do you have any trouble with any part of the site? Is there anything that could use some improvements? Are there any portions of the site you think don't belong? Whay would you like to see added in the coming months?
Any thoughts, concerns, etc etc would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone and keep up the good work. It's great seeing the friendly greetings you all give our new members and the helpful tips you give to those in need.

S

stells

RE: Feedback Time

the only thing i will say is a few weeks back there was a thread about assigning more moderators, with you being busy and the other moderator noot on so much maybe it is time to assign those moderators incase they are ever needed :)

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i have admittedly been lagging with moderators. i'm weighing my options, still considering the extent of responsibilities etc.

S

stells

well the more the site grows the more need there is going to be for more moderators.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Due to personal reasons I would like to remove my name from the hat regarding Moderators.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is a request for members. In your personal profile if you could give state or region where you live it could help answer some questions you may have such as what kind of plantings for your torts. Just a suggestion, I know for various reasons you may not want to and we understand.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sites is awesome bro. Keep up the good work. I like how there are forums for every type of tortise. Right now it seems like to many forums , because some times it goes days with out anyone posting in them . But as more people join up its going to be awesome. The photo contest was a great idea. We should do more fun stuff like that. Maybe something like a tortoise show, best in breed, then best in show. Just somthing cool to think about. I also really like how you are hosting banners for the people who are members.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I think you are doing an awesome job, Josh! This is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums on the web:D.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thanks for the kind words! the site thrives because of you all...i just provide the venue and i want to make sure it's working well for all of you out there.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Nothing wrong with the forum at all. I do though would like to say something about the 10 minute rule or whatever it is on editing your post. Sometimes I'll think of something else I wanted to add to my post or maybe even correct an error that I had made but if it's past the time limit, you can only make another post. I know this drives up the post count which looks good but then it also makes things harder to follow if the mistake is corrected on the next page or even further. It's no big problem, just maybe more of an annoyance to me seeing an error in my post and not being able to correct it.

Keep up the good work Josh!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
That rule helps to keep everyone accountable for what they post, not being able to go back later on and remove something from their post. (which can in turn make a thread look fairly awkward when the replies dont look like they belong to the previous posts) ;)

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I understand what it's for and see it's worth, it's just annoying to me. :)

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
sorry about that chucky ;)
thanks for the replies everyone. i can't emphasize enough how eager i am to read your feedback and hear your thoughts.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
josh this is just an idea. is there a way to put a banner or something under the photo contest winners avatar or something. it would be an extra prize and recognition on the forum. just an idea. thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Josh, I feel the forum is developing at just the right speed. The members seem to enjoy and have fun with most of the posts. I know I do and the information gleaned from this site, I personally feel has been invaluable. I feel it is user friendly and not mucked up with a lot of extra stuff that only seems to get in the way of what I really want a forum that I can communicate with others that have the same Passion for torts and turts that I have. I think you have done a Great Job setting up and administrating the forum and always keep the members needs, wants, and concerns in mind, and I think its members have done a Super Job of utilizing the tool you have given us. So Thank you, for helping to make this one of the friendliest, most fun, and informative Tort Forums I have been on. Without your vision we would not all be here together talking torts..

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I agree, the 10 min edit rule is a good one.

This is a very awesome site. Ive been to sites where the MODs have become like the finally authority. I mean outside of just moderating the forums. If you disagree with their care advice they jump all over you. Even if they are wrong.

This site is going to be (already is but potently on a greater scale ) A happy home for all tortoise keepers all over the world. From breeders and hobbyist to people who just have one as a pet. We have to continue to build a solid foundation. Because a fortress with out a foundation is just a pile of rocks.

Josh awesome job.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I still don't really care for all the replies in the classified section that have nothing to do with a reply to the classified ad.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
There should be an option for classified ads to be closed or open to comments. Check on the new thread page in the classified forum.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Good info, good layout- I got nothing to complain about!

About the only thing I can think of would be a few additions that might be fun, but they are certainly not needed to make this a better place however... just things I would like to see in a place like this...

- A FAQ for each species or group of turtles- basic diet, climate, etc. so when people ask the same questions over and over, we can, if we choose, link them to the FAQs.

- A database by species where we can contribute data- standardized measurements, plastron ring counts, etc. that can be used to help chart trends and averages- 'my Red-foot is 167mm SCL- according to the chart, the average 167mm Red-foot weighs XYZgr. and is about ABC months old'. It seems to me that the sheer amount of data a site like this can gather would help make some very useful correlations. It would be even more interesting if it could include research data like UVB/D3 use, humidity/temp levels, etc. somehow.

- A photo database of species, that would, ideally in my mind, include a photographic guide to ID'ing young and typical tortoises, and showing normal variations on the species- mottling, melanistic, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.