Forum Signatures Feedback

What should be allowed in signatures:

• Leave it as it is! Anything goes!

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Links are OK but photos should go!

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • I like links if they're relevant and non-spammy. No photos though!

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • I agree with Josh - No links or photos!

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
I'm confused. Are the signatures causing a function problem for some users, or do some just find the pictures annoying? If the latter is the case, then that user should just disable the viewing of signatures. I don't, in any way, see what the big deal is?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Madkins007 said:
I am just tossing this out- it is NOT a policy change, official moderator comment, or anything like that...

...what if there was a fee you could pay that got you the right to a big signature?

I LIKE one of Josh's earlier proposals- a two-line sig. I changed my sig to see if I could do it and be happy with it and I really like the results.

Short, clean sigs would also make life easier for mobile users, computers with small screens, and users with slow connections.

But, some people like the 'bling'. What if you could buy the right to the bling?

Just thinking out loud (when I probably shouldn't!) :)

I had brought this up in the thread where we talked about the chat room

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
CtTortoise said:
I'm confused. Are the signatures causing a function problem for some users, or do some just find the pictures annoying? If the latter is the case, then that user should just disable the viewing of signatures. I don't, in any way, see what the big deal is?

I'm not sure what started the issue, but I know one thing that we're trying to make universal is the links in the signatures. What is considered spam and what is considered an ok link. When the subject first came up a couple months ago, I removed my rescue link. It hasn't caused me any hardship. But what is the difference between me putting my tortoise rescue link in my signature and Susie Cream Cheese (who happens to be an attorney) putting a link to her attorney web site in her signature. She's a valid member with 10 sulcatas and posts frequently. See what I'm sayin?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
wait I thought susie cream cheese promoted her brother's artwork

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
emysemys said:
CtTortoise said:

I'm not sure what started the issue, but I know one thing that we're trying to make universal is the links in the signatures. What is considered spam and what is considered an ok link. When the subject first came up a couple months ago, I removed my rescue link. It hasn't caused me any hardship. But what is the difference between me putting my tortoise rescue link in my signature and Susie Cream Cheese (who happens to be an attorney) putting a link to her attorney web site in her signature. She's a valid member with 10 sulcatas and posts frequently. See what I'm sayin?

does she also do family law??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL!!

Thanks for the laugh. You guys (and I use the term generically) are just too, too much!!

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I didn't really see my preferred option stated as a poll choice,

"Possible size restrictions and tort related pics and links are ok"

" anything goes" isn't really ideal IMO, but it was the lesser evil :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have to say I agree also. I like the size of Rob's pic for example. If we made it 200 X 200 max, it would be fine. I also don't see a problem with tortoise related website links.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Everything is fine with me. I have no complaints. The only thing is I wish everyone would put their name as part of their signature.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
I like it the way it is. You can just scroll past the signature if you don't want to read it. Helps me know who's talking!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Balboa said:
I didn't really see my preferred option stated as a poll choice,

"Possible size restrictions and tort related pics and links are ok"

" anything goes" isn't really ideal IMO, but it was the lesser evil :)

Well worded Balboa. This is what I would have voted for on the poll too. I like the links in people's signature. I once used someone's signature link to get to their website and make donation to a good cause.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't mind "self advertising" through links and photos but I do think that the photos sizes are getting out of control. I'd rather see a signature block that has a limited height size so that when viewing it the photo in the block isn't taking up 4" of height space on a screen!

I think the signature block should be limited to 3 or 4 lines maximum and you the user can put anything they want in that signature block as long as it is legitimately related to the tortoise hobby.

It would be nice to see this voluntarily self regulated by the users and not have to have it governed by the site administrator.

B K

5 Year Member
A question –What is it hurting is it slowing the system down or is it that some just don’t like to see the long signatures. I’m kind of lost at the LARGE, obnoxious signatures who’s was it mine .When I first seen Large and Obnoxious I thought my Mother in law was on the forum.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
B K said:
A question –What is it hurting is it slowing the system down or is it that some just don’t like to see the long signatures. I’m kind of lost at the LARGE, obnoxious signatures who’s was it mine .When I first seen Large and Obnoxious I thought my Mother in law was on the forum.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh so not nice! :D:D:D

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
terryo said:
B K said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh so not nice! :D:D:D

LOLLLL

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I like having a signature it lets you express yourself on the forum. Also I always feel like a stalker when I go to someones profile to check them out :D Definitley a size restriction on the photos would be a good idea but please let us keep our photos!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Some of the ads appear just below the sig area, and actually look like they are part of the sigs, links and all, but they say Google Ads in small print. Maybe those should go. Ads should look like ads, sigs should look like sigs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Marty333 said:
I like having a signature it lets you express yourself on the forum. Also I always feel like a stalker when I go to someones profile to check them out :D Definitley a size restriction on the photos would be a good idea but please let us keep our photos!!

Marty, I liked you signature photo, that is why I change mine around every so often, once I fiqured out how, LOL. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.