Feed every day?

Suey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi just wondering if anyone that feeds mazuri , zoo med pellets or pre-alpin finds that it fills thei tortoises up and they don’t eat much the next day. I soak mazuri pellets, zoo med grassland pellets and the pre-alpin dried food altogether. My two tortoises love it and wolf it down, but the day after they don’t eat much at all. I’m wondering if I should just feed every other day. Just can’t bring myself to not offer anything for a whole day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi just wondering if anyone that feeds mazuri , zoo med pellets or pre-alpin finds that it fills thei tortoises up and they don’t eat much the next day. I soak mazuri pellets, zoo med grassland pellets and the pre-alpin dried food altogether. My two tortoises love it and wolf it down, but the day after they don’t eat much at all. I’m wondering if I should just feed every other day. Just can’t bring myself to not offer anything for a whole day.
Yes. I've seen this happen where they don't want to eat much the next day. Mix your soaked mixture with greens each day. Instead of one day of one and another day of the other, go half and half every day, Or feed the prepared food once a week instead of every other day. Or feed weeds, leaves, flowers, and other good stuff and stop using the prepared foods altogether, except in winter when you can't get weeds and leaves.

Suey

England
Thanks Tom think I will try the half and half idea for now while I can still get weeds and flowers, they don’t like plantain much so might just sneak some in there. Then change to more prepared foods in winter, thanks for the advice.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Somewhat like Tom suggested, I add my kibble to enough water to make it a thick salad dressing that I toss fresh weeds or mixed greens with. Additionally, I don't feed mazuri everyday, more like 1-3 times a week.

Jamie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's important for any keeper that keeps their tortoises outside that leftover Mazuri is a rat attractant.
Feed just as much as your tortoises will eat in a few minutes.

Suey

England
Thankyou for different suggestions, I will experiment with all ideas to see which works best for me. The weather isn’t very good here in the UK ,wet and windy, and 13 degrees.