Fecal test and quarantine

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I am about to receive 3 sets of torts from 3 separate places. As per the protocol you all taught me I am isolating the 3 sets, totally clean areas far from each other. My question is am I supposed to get the fecal work done immediately upon receiving them? Or should I wait some time and if so how long?

I was also wondering, if the fecal tests come back okay, then why is a quarantine still necessary? Are there some parasites that might not show up immediately but will show up later?

Thanks again,

Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are they wild caught? If not, I wouldn't do a fecal. Yes, even if you do a fecal, they should still be separated. There are things that won't show up in a fecal that is more of a concern then what can show in a fecal. Anything in a fecal is easily treated. The other pathogens, etc are not so treatable or easily found.

BTW what are you getting?

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Fecal test and quarantine

wellington said:
Are they wild caught? If not, I wouldn't do a fecal. Yes, even if you do a fecal, they should still be separated. There are things that won't show up in a fecal that is more of a concern then what can show in a fecal. Anything in a fecal is easily treated. The other pathogens, etc are not so treatable or easily found.

BTW what are you getting?

Hey Barb, thx...Nope, not WC, getting them from trustable folks right here. They all are however exposed to larger groups, so separation is a must no matter what. Ok, so ill skip fecals unless something looks off.

Im getting a total 1.3 cherries, a couple of which are coming from Jeff, a 1.1. Another female pair is coming as well, making it the 1.3. Also, a 1.1 Het Hypos.

Attachments

• 1382918382978.jpg
    1382918382978.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 82

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I'm pretty sure viruses wouldn't show up in a fecal.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
So im also wondering, when having a tort in quarantine, can the enclosure be in same room as the othet torts? They would not have access to each other. Or do they have to be in totally separate rooms?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Although you already know what I will say, I'm going to say it again:p. I would not worry about them being in the same room. If they were wild caught I would worry more about them being in the same room. That's just my opinion, I have no big hands on experience as others. However, from what I have learned and seen, I don't know,that there are many if any that keep them in totally separate rooms.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
TommyZ said:
Hehe, thanks again ;)

Testing new animals is always a discussion worth having. You have to decide, what do you want to test for and what is in your budget as far as what pathogens do you want to screen for. Captive bred animals from a closed colony are a smaller risk however there is always a risk. New World tortoises are at risk for Mycoplasma, Intranuclear coccidiosis has been reported in red foots as well. Herpes and Adenovirus is probably less of a risk since more old world tortoises. Fecal analysis is always a good idea but needs to be a fresh sample and looked at immediately. Those are the considerations. I have recently started keeping new additions in a separate part of my house to reduce any possibility of exposure until I am absolutely sure these animals are healthy. I've even gone to the extreme of keeping a new group at my vet hospital so there would be no way of bringing in a pathogen. Nothing worse than wiping out a collection with a new disease in a stable group.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Totally agree with deadheadvet on this. I would have a fecal test done no matter where he came from. Just because the tort is captive, it still was in a group and may have been contaminated somewhere along the line. Take no chances, and test asap. The sooner you test, the sooner he comes out of quarantine.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I don't mind the cost, it'll cost A LOT more to lose one of my torts. The Hets have been treated for Dinoflagellates and helminths, (I have no idea what those are). Can you please advise me as to what I should ask the vet to even test for? As always I will do exactly as you guys advise me, I just don't want to walk into a vet and them see a great big fat dollar sign.

Is it OK if I collect the sample from the water if I get them soaking? Obviously, reason being the easiest way to get to poop on command is to soak them.

Thanks gang.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Sibi and others are correct. Take them to a vet and have them checked. I just purchased a trio of proven leopards from a known person. I took them in to have them checked, basically wieght, fecal, and to check for any health issues. Boy was I floored when they came back positive for hexamita. I am talking big time. They had to get medications for three consecutive days with a break of a week then three more consecutive of meds, then I had to wait for 30 days then had them do a recheck. If I had not isolated them and had them tested I could of potentially exposed my whole collection with devastating results. The end results were worth the cost. It only cost me approximately $100 and that included the meds and another $75 for the recheck. Be safe and not be sorry. We invest too much time, emotions, and dollars to risk losing one of out kids.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
A direct fecal analysis is good for protozoals like Amoeba and other flagellates, we usually send the rest off for analysis to a reference lab for nematodes, etc. Collecting a sample out of soaking is fine. That's how I get a lot of my samples. Just fish out the fecal material, not the urates. Get it into a container and to the vet asap so they can do the direct smear.
I just finished testing 4 new tortoises for intranuclear coccidiosis to the tune of 270$. Glad they all tested negative. Now they can be quarantined together for the next 6 months.