Favorite foods at one year?

Morob7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
Other than "tortoise crack" (Mazuri), what were your Mee or Mep's favorite foods at one year?

SteveW

Mushrooms, opuntia, collard greens, squash leaves, and snails are all favorites. Although, really all food is attacked with reckless abandon.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Mushrooms, opuntia, collard greens, squash leaves, and snails are all favorites. Although, really all food is attacked with reckless abandon.
Thank you. I am trying avoid buying food that they are likely not going to eat.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you. I am trying avoid buying food that they are likely not going to eat.
They are all different. What one person's animal likes another one may not ever touch. You might be avoiding something they end up loving. Let them make the decision.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
I definitely want to try feeding them a variety. I just don't want to put ten things on their plate at once. I will end up throwing most of it away.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I definitely want to try feeding them a variety. I just don't want to put ten things on their plate at once. I will end up throwing most of it away.
Feed one item a week. Or for at least three or four days in a row. Often they don't eat it the first day or even the second you give it to them. But after a few days they do eat it I will continue after that. Once you get a variety they will eat you can mix it together once in a while. It's a variety overtime not necessarily every single day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Manouria don't have any one favorite. Food is their favorite. Right from the beginning I start them out on weeds and leaves from outside. I've always fed a wide variety that includes a bit of fruit and a bit of insects. By the time they're all grown up, they'll eat anything, even the human that drops the food into their yard. I had a loaf of bread left over when it was time to go shopping for more groceries and I hated to waste it, so I thought to see if they would even eat that. Yup. They did. Note to newbies reading this thread: Bread is not normally on my tortoises' diets. But a once in awhile thing won't kill them.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
As a newbie, i gottcha. My Meps are doing great, i think. They are a year now and growing 100 grams a month! Now they weigh1.3 pounds each. crazy how much they eat and fast they grow.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
My Mees seem to have adapted to the new environment. They seemed like they were picky when I first got them, but their appetites have really picked up. So far they like romaine, collards, sweet potato, mushrooms and Mazuri. I can't get them interested in cactus. They get some supervised free roaming time in the yard, but have never tried to eat any weeds or plants. I will probably try some squash next.

Alyssa412

South West Florida
My Mees seem to have adapted to the new environment. They seemed like they were picky when I first got them, but their appetites have really picked up. So far they like romaine, collards, sweet potato, mushrooms and Mazuri. I can't get them interested in cactus. They get some supervised free roaming time in the yard, but have never tried to eat any weeds or plants. I will probably try some squash next.
granted mine are much older than a year, but they don't seem too crazy about the cactus pads either. they really like the fruit though. I keep trying to get them to like the parts of fruits and veggies I buy for me and don't eat. the bottoms of asparagus were a pretty big fail, however the greens from the tops of radishes is a favorite.