Failure to thrive: Russian Tortoise

michelle.platt

5 Year Member
Last August, I purchased 2 hatchling Russian Tortoises at the NARBC in Dallas, TX. We named them Bonnie and Clyde. They have a spacious cage with a Powersun with UVB spot light and a x-terra hood with Sun-glow and UVB bulbs; they get fresh leaf lettuce daily sprinkled with Rep-Cal and Herptivite mix and have a Frisbee filles half way with water that has rocks to allow them to climb out and a cuttle bone to nibble. The lighter Tortoise (Clyde) is doing great, but the darker one has not really grown (she is 1/3 the size of Clyde), she has started not eating very well, moves slowly and keeps her eyes closed most of the time. I have soaked her in baby food water twice a day for 2 weeks now with little progress. Though she does drink it and poop in the water so that is a good sign. Her eyes are not swollen and there is no external sign of infection besides the lack of growth and activity she looks fine.

My question is: She has a wonky shell. The scutes on the fore section of the carapace are not symmetrical. They have always been like this. Could this be a reason for her lack of growth, etc...

These are not my first Russian tortoises and I have never had an issues before. We had 2 6yr old Russians that we lost last summer to a HORRIBLE pet sitter accident, but before that they were in good heath and well loved.IMG_2005.JPG IMG_2006.JPG

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Irregular shell, would not be the problem. I also don't suspect failure to thrive. You may not want to hear this, but I suspect bullying, even at this young age. I would try and separate, and see if this improves things.

michelle.platt

5 Year Member
I make sure to feed them in separate locations. Would it be more of a stress issue??

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Possible, but I still think bullying, there is also the mere presence sometimes, is enough. If they were mine, I would separate. Your tortoise though, so it is ultimately your decision. Remember they won't come to any harm by separating.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I just separated two sibling tortoises that had been together since hatching in February. One was really taking off, size wise, the other had plateaued. It went a month with no weight gain. I saw no bullying but after separating the smaller one has immediately started growing/gaining weight again.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
With all the information out there about not putting to tortoises together it still amazes me that pet shops, reptile shows, and Internet sites still sell the tortoises in pairs. And they do not mention that this is not a good idea. Sometimes they even offer a better "deal" when you buy two.

M

Maggie Cummings

I also was going to suggest bullying. It happens so often in the chelonia world. You may not even see it, but a lot of bullying is mental and it's the bigger one keeping the smaller one away from the food, or the best sleeping spot etc.
It also sounds to me like there's too much light going on. All they need is 1 UVB bulb and the Powersun is the best and either a CHE or a black light bulb for heat. Russians like to cool off at night so I am not even sure if night heat is needed at this point.
Is the Sun-glow a spiral bulb? You mention the Powersun UVB bulb, then the Sun-glow then you say and UVB bulbs. It just sounds like too much light. Especially if one is a spiral bulb. They blind tortoises, so if that's the case get rid of it right away. Hope this helps

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Michelle
I would start by separating them, then I would improve their diet ( spring mix ) would be a good start and some broad leaf weeds . Now the bulling is out , diet is better . And a pict of their enclosure would help . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Russians are not friendly little guys. They are very mean to to other tortoises, and smaller russians. Bullying can cause stress and heath problems... you should separate them, and see if it helps.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I would add more of a variety to their diet. Different kinds of weeds, flowers, kale, turnip greens, etc. On this forum there is a list of different things that are very healthy to feed your tortoises.

Also I feel that there is nothing like real sunshine and grazing to help them grow.