F!@#$%^&*! Neighbors!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
I "insinuated" nothing. Some rich people think crime is fine as long as it stays in the "poor" neighborhoods, which is clearly what was "insinuated".
And BTW, I flushed your PM. Don't send me another.

If that is how you interpreted what I wrote, then that is my fault. But what I meant is that it is "sad" as in "ironic", as in I was trying to make a point on your side that "rich" people assume they can buy safety. I am moving into one of your so-called "poor neighborhoods" next year, so obviously I understand that crime happens everywhere regardless of income level. Right now I am straddling the poverty line and things don't look great for the future, otherwise I wouldn't have to squat at my folks' house in the suburbs. I apologize if my PM was harsh, but it was early in the morning, I had to go to work, and you got my blood boiling when you twisted my words like that, given my current situation.

moswen

5 Year Member
My neighbor two houses down from me cussed me out infront of her kids, threw a beer can at my car, and told my husband she was going to run over our daughter when she got old enough to play on the street because we don't come to a complete 3 second stop at the stop sign in her yard... She even called the police on me one day. People are awesome. I've seen people that don't even slow down at that stop sign but because I'm within ear shot when I get out of my car she thinks its her duty to stand in her front yard and yell at me... Also on the 4th of july her kids shot off a firework that almost hit my other neighbor's child and she just stood on her front porch and laughed. I can't wait till we find my 20 acres in mannford and move!

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
I have the neighbor from hell!.An old timer who's the retired fire chief in the town I live in.I can't even walk out in to my back yard with out him coming out his back door to stare at me and watch every move I make.

I was out of work for a back surgery (out for the same thing again now) about 3 yrs ago and he was taking pictures of me and the family in my back yard to give to the insurance company (I was on comp), I did nothing wrong.His pictures and video of me mowing my lawn ended up in court with the insurance company and where tossed out.

My little brother owns the house directly across the street from me so we walk back and forth to hang out or w/e.Walking across the street with a beer 1 day and here come 2 police cruisers.Neighbor called them and told them we where drinking in public and intoxicated.Being the ex-firechief he of course knows all the cops.

Sitting in my work truck in front of my house installing a new radio and here come the cops again.Step out of the truck, DUI...I didn't have the keys to the truck how was I driving?..Thank god I got out of that.My street is a circle in a culdesac..no traffic except for the mail man.I lost track of how many times the cops where called.

Well I know cops to Mr.Neighbor who video tapes over the fence into my yard where my teenage girls are laying out in bathing suits.I skipped the town cops he has at his command and called the State Police who spoke to him about video taping under aged girls.

I haven't seen the cops since then go figure, but I've seen him give company of mine the finger and he still has to stand and watch from his yard to see what's going on over here.He has never in 5yrs said 1 word to me, always everyone else.In my younger yrs. I would have been over the fence and ended it but getting to old for that.

Now I make a game of it.Go outside and wait for him (takes 10sec) to come running out repeat that a few times.I'ld swear he waits by the door to see me come out.

He's even had the Enviromental people from the state here telling them I was clearing wet-lands!....A tree fell over in my yard that I was cutting up.Except for myself and my Brother the rest of the neighborhood is elderly people and I figure he just doesn't like younger people moving in...He'll flip in his grave when I buy his house before his dead body cools.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Oddly enough, it was my tortoises that broke the barrier between myself and my neighbors.

They were crappy from day one. They called the housing commission on me every five seconds, for reasons ranging from not cleaning up my dog poop daily (which I do, I just have a bigger dog than their yappy little freaking Rat Terrier... Um, yeah people, my dog has BIGGER POOP also!!! Being, um, bigger....) to leaving my dog outside for more than 10 minutes at a stretch... no joke. We lived on a 40 acre farm for my dog's entire life, up until a year and a half ago. Lily has always been an inside dog, as much as a dog raised on a farm could be... She slept in the house, but was usually outside during the day. It was plain CRUEL to make her stay in all the time when we moved to town. We would make her go in, and 5 minutes later she was wiggling to go out again. She doesn't bark, all she was doing was laying there sleeping in the sun... THEIR dog, on the other hand, barks through the sliding door at us if we have the audacity to stand on our own porch. Nice. Lily is almost always tethered when outside, unless we are right there, and she never walks more than 10 feet from us.

Then they called the cops on me a couple times for "loud parties." It was 11 o'clock at night, I had a couple of people over playing cards. The stupid radio wasn't even playing. Shut your dog up and go to sleep, seriously.

It was HELL for the first year. Our washing machine broke, we bought a new one and set the old one outside the back door for THREE HOURS, and here came the guy from the housing commission, saying their had been a complaint about the "junk" in our yard... I was at work with the truck!!! WTH did they actually expect us to do about it? The plain ridiculousness of it would blow your mind.

So I start fencing the yard and building tortoise enclosures this spring. "What is that?" I was shocked I was even spoken to. I showed them, and now we talk all the time. They chatter at us when they go in and out of their house, let us eat outside on their new yard furniture, it is SOOO weird. We have loaned them tools and hauled old carpet to the dumpsters for them, and they have cooked us burgers and gave us a really nice set of dressers.

All that hate started over a really good dog... and now they like me, because I have cute little "turtles," lol!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine is opposire I had a good neighbor he and his wife used to sit outside and watch my turtles and tortoises for hours, we had BBQ's an such, then one day he has a stroke and complete 180 in attitude daily calls to the park managemnt over imaginary stuff, and the park of course can't just ignore him so they come out on his property, they can not come on mine without permission or an emergency. They would look and find nothing so finally I put up a bamboo fence now he can't see over into my property and problem solved, so he is now patrolling his other sides, I see him when I walk my dog, for other imaghinary infractions of the rules. It is quite sad actually he used to be nice, and his wife is great but now it is like he was taken over by an evil spirit or something, total different person.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
emysemys said:
I guess we all have a bad neighbor story. I have mine too. I find it best to try to ignore them and let whatever they do just roll off my back. I really like the alcoholics anonymous serenity prayer...

"God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
courage to change the things we can,
and wisdom to know the difference."

So, if I can't change it, I really try hard to ignore it and not let it get to me.

I agree. and I remember one little line IN a Carol Burnett show once: If in life you meet a foe, praise them, bless them, let them go.

harder than it sounds. I have one we call Many Blessed...... the count got so high.

you could also line your fence with a board or bricks so edibles don't grow right up against it on your side.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
zzzdanz said:
I have the neighbor from hell!.An old timer who's the retired fire chief in the town I live in.I can't even walk out in to my back yard with out him coming out his back door to stare at me and watch every move I make.

I was out of work for a back surgery (out for the same thing again now) about 3 yrs ago and he was taking pictures of me and the family in my back yard to give to the insurance company (I was on comp), I did nothing wrong.His pictures and video of me mowing my lawn ended up in court with the insurance company and where tossed out.

My little brother owns the house directly across the street from me so we walk back and forth to hang out or w/e.Walking across the street with a beer 1 day and here come 2 police cruisers.Neighbor called them and told them we where drinking in public and intoxicated.Being the ex-firechief he of course knows all the cops.

Sitting in my work truck in front of my house installing a new radio and here come the cops again.Step out of the truck, DUI...I didn't have the keys to the truck how was I driving?..Thank god I got out of that.My street is a circle in a culdesac..no traffic except for the mail man.I lost track of how many times the cops where called.

Well I know cops to Mr.Neighbor who video tapes over the fence into my yard where my teenage girls are laying out in bathing suits.I skipped the town cops he has at his command and called the State Police who spoke to him about video taping under aged girls.

I haven't seen the cops since then go figure, but I've seen him give company of mine the finger and he still has to stand and watch from his yard to see what's going on over here.He has never in 5yrs said 1 word to me, always everyone else.In my younger yrs. I would have been over the fence and ended it but getting to old for that.

Now I make a game of it.Go outside and wait for him (takes 10sec) to come running out repeat that a few times.I'ld swear he waits by the door to see me come out.

He's even had the Enviromental people from the state here telling them I was clearing wet-lands!....A tree fell over in my yard that I was cutting up.Except for myself and my Brother the rest of the neighborhood is elderly people and I figure he just doesn't like younger people moving in...He'll flip in his grave when I buy his house before his dead body cools.

I think we have a winner. It's one thing when it's criminals making your life difficult, but when it's someone who believes he is on the right side of the law it makes things that much worse. Before my family moved into the house we have now it belonged to a close friend who had it built in the early 70's, and he had a problem with the elderly neighbors because they had been using the lot he bought as their own backyard (in fact, their house backs up to our lot, so their sliding glass door opens up only about 8' from my yard). On one hand, it's hard to pass judgment, because maybe the neighbors were trying to save enough money that they could buy this lot and have a full acre yard, but on the other hand, the property was for sale and they must have known that someone was going to buy it and build a house next door. I guess they caused a lot of problems though. Oh well. But you never really know what motivates people to act that way.

My parents are the type that would call the police or the town because they don't like what the neighbors are doing. It's pretty disheartening. Can't wait for next year when I will (hopefully) be able to move. :)

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
I kept my post about the tortoises, but my neighbors do some of the same things. I got cussed at because my two young boys were riding their bikes while the neighbor cut his grass. My boys stayed on the side walk and did nothing wrong.
I get cigerette butts and gum littered along the one side. And when they do yard work, they take a blower and blow it on to my lawn. They like their cars, too. The son likes to squeal his tires and rev his noisy muffler at all times, including after my kids are in bed.
I put in a sprinkler head at the corner of my yard. I left it at least six inches inward on my lawn. I repaired it twice the first week because they kept running over it with their cars.
I could go on, but I'd rather talk tortoises then neighbors any day.
Thanks for everyone's posts on this thread.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
-ryan- said:
zzzdanz said:

I think we have a winner. It's one thing when it's criminals making your life difficult, but when it's someone who believes he is on the right side of the law it makes things that much worse. Before my family moved into the house we have now it belonged to a close friend who had it built in the early 70's, and he had a problem with the elderly neighbors because they had been using the lot he bought as their own backyard (in fact, their house backs up to our lot, so their sliding glass door opens up only about 8' from my yard). On one hand, it's hard to pass judgment, because maybe the neighbors were trying to save enough money that they could buy this lot and have a full acre yard, but on the other hand, the property was for sale and they must have known that someone was going to buy it and build a house next door. I guess they caused a lot of problems though. Oh well. But you never really know what motivates people to act that way.

My parents are the type that would call the police or the town because they don't like what the neighbors are doing. It's pretty disheartening. Can't wait for next year when I will (hopefully) be able to move. :)

And that's not even a 1/4 of it.I've found out he's done back ground checks on me and my wife..I have no idea why.Called my boss to tell him I was in the yard after 1 of my back surgeries..My boss is 1 of my best friends.I've worked for him for almost 20 yrs, and I'm his kids god father.

I've had building inspectors, health dept.,fire dept.,cops,enviromental dept,and even his lawyer at my door...My wife is ready to just sell the house, but not me.I've done to much work to it to just walk away.
She's worried he's going to say something to my kids that will not go over to good with me, and then I'll resort to my younger ways and just beat him.(not going to do that)..Sooo I just deal with it and try to ignore it, just hoping his misserable *** doesn't out live mine.

Maybe I'll be nice when he's gone and only charge his wife half price for rent in my new house.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
The first thing i would do is call the city and complain about it. See what they can do. If they cant help, I would save up the money for a PVC privacy fence.
Install the fence with leaving up her fence, and place a strong liner on her side.

Or run a strong liner around the fence on your side.....

I am thinking save the money for some sort of pond liner..... it would last for a very long time.

Of course i think of doing very mean things back, but thats not the right thing to do.

I do like the idea of hooking up your water house to the fence line and flooding her yard..
Then when she says something, be like, oh i am sorry, do i need to tell you i am watering my yard?

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
II sympathise with you. I have one annoying neighbour with cats who foul on my garden. Enough said. My other neighbour is a god send. He has done so much for us since we moved in, put an ariel on the roof, some electrics, sends ava things at christmas and birthdays, lets us in when we havo no power and makes us tea as we only have elevctricity in the kitchen, cuts the grass, and this week he saved my stubborn rabbit from a near-death experience when she took herself off for a hop to the road! Many thanks to good neighbours!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Tom said:
Now I'm all alone at the top of a hill. Love it.

Hah! The age-old strategic value of high ground...no one can sneak up on you! Why am I not surprised? :p

These stories are so painfully entertaining! Tom, you should pass these on to your screenplay-writing acquaintances...there's at least one good movie in this thread. :D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I hear you Kevin. My friend has neighbors whose kids throw rocks at his tortoises over the fence. Needless to say, my friend is very happy that he is moving next month.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
gummybearpoop said:
My friend has neighbors whose kids throw rocks at his tortoises over the fence.

I'll still be cleaning my guns every time those offspring are playing outside.

Or point a motion detecting water sprinkler towards them. They sell them for ponds.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
can you maybe build a little perimeter around your fence - like a buffer zone?

so that even if she does spray it won't get the part of your yard where your tort grazes?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
maggie3fan said:
I have lived here 5 years. 2 years ago a nag moved in next door and almost immediately started complaining about the way Bob's shed looks and how much noise he makes....I repeat...how much noise a tortoise makes. You know that they try to dig and rearrange their plywood before going to sleep. Every night about 5:30 Bob starts digging in his sleeping box. So it's that noise she complains about. She started playing a loud radio, so on Sundays I put NASCAR on and with the surround sound loud so i can hear the cars go 'round as I garden. She stopped with the radio, so I stopped with the NASCAR.
LoL that is so funny, What a stupid idiot she is:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
Keep going everyone, you're all making me even more happy that live out in the boondocks with no neighbors!

Yeah, Green Acres IS the place to be! I never plan to live in a city again...living within 15 miles of one is just fine! :cool:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"Yeah, Green Acres IS the place to be!"

Couldn't have said it better myself Terry!

And contrary to popular belief, we do have running water and electricity! Even wireless internet!

Isn't it great sitting out on the porch at night and hearing nothing more than crickets and spring frogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.